Please Help me!!!

Apr 24, 2006
Nashville, Illinois
I think Platinum and Ying have fin rot. Platinum has a white patch on his dorsal fin where it looks torn. He also has it on one of his other fins. Ying's tail looks torn up like he was digging or something and I'm not even sure he's still alive. If I can I'm going to Birds Galore to get medication. If there's anything I can do now, please tell me. Also, what meds would you suggest?

Apr 24, 2006
Nashville, Illinois
Oh, thank goodnes, Ying isn't dead! His fin is still damaged but he's alive. I was worried because he was in a weird position and his tail looked paler than usual. My fish couldn't have picked a worse time to get sick. I've just started 8th grade, I was sick since Friday, and things in general have been horrible.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Have you tested the water? What with? How long has the tank been set up? What is your typical maintenance schedule?

Test your water, do a large water change (more than 50%) and get back to us. (in that order)

SANND

Large Fish
Jul 20, 2005
Washington, DC
How are you with water changes? Also, is there anything in the tank they could have damaged their fins on? Or could there have been fighting? Melafix should help but you need to find out the source of the damage. :)

Apr 24, 2006
Nashville, Illinois
Ok, I did what you told me to do. It has been set up since April, 2006 and I have been doing water changes on the weedends lately. The only problems were low alkalinity and ph (probably do to amonia) and the nitrates were a bit high. Currently Psycho is in there aswell. I am trying to figure out if I should put him back in his bowl since he is so little he can last a while between water changes. Hopefully I can go to Mount Vernon today and get some Melafix. What does that do exactly? I've heard that name alot lately.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
What were your readings for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. Also, do you use the dip strips or drops?

Melafix is for helping heal injuries but won't do much for the source of the problem. You need to find the source of the problem first. Fin rot is typically caused by poor water quality.

Apr 24, 2006
Nashville, Illinois
Nitrates were a bit high, and the low Ph was probably caused by amonia. I'm using Melafix now. I hope it works. I agree it was caused by water conditions because I can't figure out how to work my water syphon. Ying is a lot more active now, would that be caused by the disease?

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
I agree your pH was most likely caused by ammonia but you NEED to know what your ammonia readings are. Daily water changes will help remedy the situation if it is purely from water quality but you need to know what your tank levels are, especially while cycling or when a problem arises.

What do you consider "a bit high" as far as nitrates are concerned? What were your numbers and which test did you use to arrive at that number? Drops/strips?

If you ask for help, it is really important that the salient questions put to you are answered -- otherwise, we feel as if we're wasting our time. :(

Apr 24, 2006
Nashville, Illinois
The nitrates were at 80 ppm. I used test strips.
If I do water changes won't that remove some of the Melafix? Also, Platinum's dorsal fin has worsened.
I'll try to give you more info in the future. The reason I don't is because by the time I'm writing the reply I've forgotten what you've said. I'm really forgetful.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
It's more important to get the water clean and redose according to the water being replaced than leave them in the conditions which led to the problems in the first place. Do the water changes and take care of everything else as it comes.

Kephren01

Large Fish
Aug 29, 2006
New Jersey
I'm not an expert, but there are meds that are for tail rot, and will also cover ick in case that white spot is something else.

I was also told by the pet store I go to not to do water changes weekly, that it is to much, and will stress out the fish.

take it for what it's worth (someone yell if i'm wrong about something)

Apr 24, 2006
Nashville, Illinois
Um...... how about water change then melafix?(that way I don't take any of the new melafix out.
Maybe water changes don't stress out normal fish but they drive my easily scared silver insane. Ying swims all around and sticks his head out of the water when I do changes.
Platinum's little (pectoral?) fin is healing well but the large dorsal fin continues to get slightly worse each day. Today it wasn't as bad as yesterday.