Please Help me!!!

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
We don't care about the alk and ph, we need ammonia, nitrite, nitrate.
Sixty is too high. Do a water change.
:( You scream for help and won't even post up proper water parameters. Your fish could be dying of ammonia poisoning (or nitrite) and if you cared, you'd cooperate so you could get some real help.
If you really cared, you wouldn't be keeping a brackish fish in freshwater.

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
Dragon cqzzzzz< said:
The nitrite is at zero. The amonia is at 3.0.
3?? Water change. Now. Then again later.
What is your water change procedure? You said you don't know how to use your syphon, so how are you doing the water changes that stresses your fish like you described?
And get someone at your lfs to show you how to use your syphon. If you are not vacuuming your gravel, the filth is a big part of the problem.

I've searched my whole area for Instant Ocean and I can't find it. I'll get it off of the internet eventually, but for now I can't.
How about Sea Creatures in Du Quoin? (618) 542-8889 Or Petsmart in O Fallon? (618) 624-4484 Any place that sells supplies for saltwater aquariums will have it.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
I just recently figured out how to use my syphon/siphon. Here are some tips from a fellow beginner.

1. Make sure you have the proper sized siphon for your tank, smaller ones are easier to use. With a smaller one, you may very well have to get your hands wet to get all the way down to the gravel in the tank.

2. Get a bucket and place it below the level of the water in the tank you plan to siphon.

3. Place the siphon in the tank full of as much water as you can get in it. Now, holding onto the siphon with one hand and the end of the tube with the other, you're going to "suck" on the end of the tube like a straw (I wipe mine off before I do this).

4. The water will fill the siphon head and tube very easily. Give it one good "suck" and then quickly point the tube downward towards the bucket. The water should begin to flow. Slowly at first, but gently push the siphon head up and down in the tank a couple of times, and that should get it going. If not, give it another big "suck." This WILL work.

5. To clean the gravel, once you have the water flowing, place the siphon head over patches of gravel and pull up. This should loosen up the dirt/waste in the gravel, which will then be sucked up into the tubing.

6. Once you have siphoned as much water as you need to, lift the siphon head in the tank until it has emptied. I usually refill the tank with a bucket, but there might be a more technical way to do this...

SANND

Large Fish
Jul 20, 2005
Washington, DC
You don't have to use instant ocean, you can use any kind of aquarium salt your lfs has. Several sources say you can even use table salt, i've not tried it myself though.

SANND

Large Fish
Jul 20, 2005
Washington, DC
This is just one of the sites I read it on The Brackish Water Aquarium

"Without doubt, the best type of salt to use in an aquarium is a good proprietary brand of synthetic sea salt, obtainable from most aquatic retailers. A cheaper but a far poorer substitute is ordinary cooking salt and, cheapest of all if you happen to live near the sea, is sea water diluted down with fresh water. "

Like I said, I've never tried it myself so I can't comment on it's effectiveness or not, but other people have tried it.

Apr 24, 2006
Nashville, Illinois
My mom did suggest Sea Creatures, but Petsmart is the idiots who gave me the salt I have.
My tank is not cycling. The way I do water changes is I use a gallon jug that was cut into a cup-like shape. I scoop out water usually to the top of my thermometer (about 25% or so) into a five gallon bucket. I take the dirty water outside and dump it out, then fill the bucket with tap water. I treat the water with salt and dechlorinator, and wait for the salt to dissolve. I then scoop this water into the tank. Like I said Platinum is easily scared and will begin going crazy if I put the new water in too fast. So lately I've been putting it in more gradually.
I'll try to use the syphon tonight and hopefully that helps.

Apr 24, 2006
Nashville, Illinois
Update

Lastnight I checked on Ying and he seems to be healing well. Platinum is also getting better. Thank you for all your help on this topic, without MFT my biggest and most loveable fish might have died.
I found out yesterday that I might get a 55 gallon tank for Christmas.:D I know it's a long time from now, but how low do sales go at Walmart on the 55 gallon kit. Mom told me that they also include the stand in the sale.