porcupine puffer

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
did you do any research on it? there's a good chance that if you bought this on impulse w/o any knowledge of its needs then the puffer will die
start by reading the stickies in this forum as well as some books
what equipment do you have for the 55 gallon? any live rock?

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
I believe they did answer that question, the tanks too small for that fish. Maybe it doesn't seem like it now, but it will grow.. and by the sounds of camaros suggestions it will be big.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
he is already 3 years old, the breeder we bought him from said he has not grown much in the last couple months, i dont believe he will get that much bigger, i was just wondering what kind of fish he would get along with

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Well...he might not get bigger in a 55 gallon, probably die prematurely...they will get along with triggers, angels, tangs, lions...but I wouldnt put anything else in the tank.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
well i didnt plan on keeping him there forever just till he out grows the tank and now theres plenty of room i think ill try a trigger...any suggestions on what kind?? already have and 3 in. undulated trigger, 3 in. yellow tang, and a 2in. naso tang in the 30g tank

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
If you do not plan on keeping, please don't buy!

TRe, I have to agree w/1979camaro on the puffer, as well I notice you also have a 30gal SW with an undulated trigger, yellow tang and a naso tang. First of all I really hope you plan to get ALOT BIGGER tank in the very near future, the 30gal is not suitable for any of the fish you have in there for long term. The trigger can grow to 1', yellow tang 8" and the naso tang 1 1/2'. It is just cruel to keep them in there and if you don't plan on keeping them you shouldn't buy them in the first place; Sorry about the lecture, but they are living creaters and should be treated as such.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
so what type of tank do u have??? i understand they will grow but itseems dumb to have a 55g tank with 1 fish.... doesnt depend on how many rocks ect..when the other fish get bigger they will go to the 55g and so on

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
SALTY WATERS said:
It is just cruel to keep them in there and if you don't plan on keeping them you shouldn't buy them in the first place
all these fish are still small and the dealer said they wont grow very fast ...dont u think yur being a little harsh??
besides if the fish get too big for my tanks i can always trade them back to the store for smaller ones

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
Re:TRe: What type of tank do you have?

I've had my 40gal SW for approx. 1 1/2yrs now and in this tank I have the following:

Approx 25lb LR (Fiji and Tonga branch)
1 - Yellow Wrasse (Halichoeres chrysus)
1 - Volitan Lionfish (Pterois volitans) "NEW resident as of approx 1 1/2 ago"
1 - Banded Brittle Sea Star (Ophiocoma scolopendrina)
1 - Blue Tuxedo Pincushion Urchin (Mespilia globulus)
1 - Sally Lightfoot Crab (Percnon gibbesi) "NEW resident as of last week"
2 - Flame Scallop (Lima scabra) "NEW residents as of today" rescued them from the LFS
2 - Olive snails (don't know this one; any help on this one...anybody?)
15-20 - Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crab (Clibanarius tricolor)
- Green Striped Mushroom (Actinodiscus sp.)
- Assorted Colored Mushroom (Actinodiscus sp.)
- Blue Waving Hand (Xenia sp.)
- Devil's Hand Leather Coral (Lobophytum sp.)

I will be moving into a new home shortly and will be upgrading my tank to a 70gal - 100 gal, I have not decided yet. I deffinetly will need a biger tank for my LionFish as he will get to be approx. 1' 3" in size.

I know it tempting to buy new fish and it may seem suitable at the moment, but seriously think about the fish and what's best for it. It's bad enough we take them out of there natural environment, but if we do we should at least have some respect for them and try to provide as best environment as we can; if we can't them we shouldn't have them!

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
so u reaally think it would be unhealthy to add any more fish to the 55g even if the puffer is already 3 years old and only 5 inchs in a 55g tank with only 20-30lbs of live rock??? seems empty , i know i need more rock but id like a few more fish too mabye a clown triger and a lion or sumthing like that

Last edited:

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
its just asking for trouble...why not spend that money on a suitable tank for all your SW fish instead...then you could move the oscar and jack into the 55 (which is about the smallest tank you should keep those two in anyway)