porcupine puffer

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
ok so i figure ill get some hermit crabs and turbo snails maybe cleaner shrimp...how many of each should i get?? for the 30g and the 55g.

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
I agree with aresgod as the need these to file there teeth down. just don' buy them thinking they will last, they will be food! so if your worried about cash he may be an expensive fish to keep up with his proper diet. They are very cool fish though!

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
well the man at the lfs said his favorite is krill.... and hell actually eat them right from your hand.....so later on ill grab a few hermit crabs and turbo snails

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
Im just a little confused why you wont grasp the concept that you dont have enough room for more fish. Im not too sure on the stocking for the salt tnaks but from your signature how do you have a oscar and jack dempsy in a 20 gallon? are you partial to overstocking tanks to the brink of destruction? Im not trying to sound like a jerk but I dont get it, am I missing something?

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Well...its good you know when the fish get too big for a small tank. I would actually move the Naso to the 55 gallon...this way it gives the tang a little more swimming room, and some space for the trigger and the Yellow. be wary, the Undulated can get very aggressive. I would say another year for those fish, if the Undualted is willing to share the tank with the tang.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Little tanks, big fish. I can't believe you're trying to keep two tangs in a 30 - I hope they're very small.

The reason I wouldn't anything but the puff in a 55 is that they're so damn messy, and I don't need another algae war. A trigger is likely to make a real mess with it. If the puff really is only 5 inches after 3 years it's pretty stunted by now though

I find life much easier of I try to get fish that will fit in my tank

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
all of the fish are still small ...... just got the oscar and dempsey this past weekend..... and as for the 2 tangs the naso tang is only like 2-3 inches and they get along fine

ecotank

Superstar Fish
Aug 30, 2003
Palm Springs, Ca
home.earthlink.net
The thing you don't seem to understand or refuse to believe is that even if the fish are "still small" they need to be housed as if they are full grown. I'm 6'4" now, but if I was kept in box that was 4'2" when I was younger, I probably wouldn't be 6"4" now. While it is false that fish grow according to thier surroundings, it is true that keeping fish in too small a space can stunt thier growth and shorten thier lifespan. This doesn't mean the fins are against the glass, but that the fish has the proper territory to swim and defend. I'm not sure why I'm wasting my time writing this because you seem to only hear what you want to hear in which case, why ask the question if your not willing to listen to the answer?

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
the quesion i asked was not will this puffer fit in a 55g tank ...the question was what fish go well with him...a 4 foot tank with just one little fish doesnt seem right..besides the puffer is already 3 years old

ecotank

Superstar Fish
Aug 30, 2003
Palm Springs, Ca
home.earthlink.net
lol....you really don't get it do you? ok try this... YOU SHOULD NOT ADD ANOTHER FISH TO A 55 GALLON TANK THAT HAS A PORCUPINE PUFFER IN IT ALREADY.

Maybe a 4ft foot tank with one fish doesn't seem right to you, but your the one who bought the fish in the first place. You could have several fish in that tank if you selected better occupants for it rather than what looked cool.

From www.porcupinepuffer.com/puffers/
The first thing that needs to be addressed before you get a puffer is "How big of a tank do I need?" There are many factors that play into keeping a puffer versus other fish and selecting the right tank size for one. The minimum tank we suggest is a 125 gallons, the reason for this is that puffers do like to swim back and fourth, and a 125 will give them 6' of swimming. A 125 will also increase the total water volume, which will play a huge role once the puffer grows up.

Can you keep a puffer in a smaller tank? Although we don't recommend it, you can successfully keep a puffer in a 90, and possibly a 75 although that would be pushing the limits pretty far. You must remember that puffers eat a lot, therefore they poop a lot! This will stress your system's bioload capacity to it's limits.

So based on this site, you puffer is being kept in 20 gallons less than what is considered pushing the limits and you want to add more fish? Please do some research rather than just ignoring everyone trying to help your fish. I'm sure your going to do whatever you want, that's evidence by your posts, I feel sorry for your fish.

Last edited:

something

Large Fish
Nov 8, 2004
southern CA
Lemme try my hand at this.

Every fish, regardless of species, size, or geographical location, releases hormones. These hormones are part of a system to aid natural selection: they stunt the growth of growing fish nearby, thus reducing the amount of competition for the larger fish (bigger fish=more hormones). This, obviously, plays a very little role in nature because of the sheer volume of water present. But in a tank, especially a tank that is too small for the fish you have, the fish's hormones begin to work quite effectively. The major problem with this is that the hormones affect every fish in the tank, stunting growth and shortening lifespan. Although your fish looks healthy, its not, and it will ultimately die a premature death (thus wasting your money). In short, if you want more fish: get a bigger tank, or pick a better species of fish

heck, ill break it down even further for you:

porcupine puffer + 55gal tank + fish of any other type = you - your money + dead fish

Last edited:

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
They are your tanks and I dont necessarily agree with your decision to keep all those fish, but I respect your opinion. Just keep in the back of your mind what we said.