Powehead/filtration

mattistat

Large Fish
Sep 9, 2006
Sothern California
well i want one cause my water is foggy (because the sand and ya i washed it out like atleast 20 times) and it wont clear up after even a month and its really dissapointing and it wont go away is there annything you can tell me to help?

FishLuvr

Large Fish
Jun 19, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa
do you mean cloudy when you say foggy?, cloudy water is due to one of two things, a bacteria bloom or poorly rinsed substrate. Both of which should have cleared up way before a month, unless with the former, you have severly overstocked. i know you said you rinsed 20 times, but sand can be very very "dirty" for lack of a better word, powdery for a better word, have you tried water changes, the amount of water changes that should be done in a month, especially with cloudy water, should have take care of the problem.

And yes water polisher filters are great, but that doesnt solve your problem, you need to figure out WHY the water is cloudy/foggy and the remedy that.

mattistat

Large Fish
Sep 9, 2006
Sothern California
whats a diatom filter and i went to petsmart like 1/2 an hour ago and got a powerhead and i aimed it at the filter intake i hope ths works

another question would i beabe to use a sponge or something to make the powerhead into a filter somewhat?

FishLuvr

Large Fish
Jun 19, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa
diatom filter, is a filter that uses daitom earth, basically finely crushed seashells as a powder mix, its the best thing to use to filter and clean the tank, (water polishing) because it will remove the smallest particles of debris, algae etc. they are expensive but do the job very very well. i dont think there meant for fulltime filtration though, just to get the water nice and clean and then removed