Powehead/filtration

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
You might be able to rent a diatom filter at your LFS. I know my local "mom and pop" store have one for rental.

I would do very frequent water changes. I had the same problem in my tanks after setting them up with a sand substrate. I rinsed and rinsed and rinsed the sand prior to putting it in the tank, but a month later the water still had a brownish tinge. Do some large and frequent water changes, and place a saucer or plate or something on the bottom of the tank when replacing water so it doesn't stir the sand up more when the water hits it.

I don't think a powerhead is going to help your filtration out all that much, however they are really good at moving water in "dead" spots around so everything circulates itself to the filter path.

mattistat

Large Fish
Sep 9, 2006
Sothern California
YahooFishKeeper said:
PetSmart - Power Sweep Powerheads by ZooMed

i have 2 of these in my tanks just as powerheads, but they come with a sponge filter that goes on them. good circulation and the filter will help your bio filteration. also you can hook them up to an air pump, but you probably wont need to.
awww that makes me mad i was just there and saw thoes grrrrr o well i guess
but would a normal sponge be ok?

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
mattistat said:
f8fan wen tou say large and frequent chenges how mutch do you mean and how do you tell if a spot id "dead" cause i cant tell if its moving or not
I'd do at least a couple 50% water changes a week.

When I say "dead" spots, I mean like in an area where you are pretty sure it's not getting a lot of flow from the water splashing back down from the filter. Like if your filter is situated on the left side of the tank, water on the right side of the tank wont be as inclined to be sucked up into the "intake" just because it's not as close to the filter intake or output. If you had a powerhead on the right side of the tank, it would push it all over to the left side where the filter will process it.