Pregnant Golden Mollies

iDOWN

New Fish
May 17, 2010
Louisiana
Platy Fish

Nevermind, it was about Platys. At first I thought the fry belonged to my Mickey Mouse Platy, which is why I was looking up breeding tips on platys. But then I saw the premature dead fry, hanging from the Golden Mollie. My mistake. Maybe Mollies are the same. Who knows.

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
If you keep mummy in the breeder net without a way for the fry to drop or swim to a separate area, mum will most likely munch up everything that is with her in such a small space.
Given that you will probably have a chance to have more fry, do whatever is needed right now to not stress mum out too much - they can actually die from extra stress, not just give birth to stillborn fry - and then plan for the next time she or others in your tank drop fry.

Cammie

Large Fish
Feb 26, 2010
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
I've experienced A LOT of fry from my guppies, mollies and platies! All were pregnant when I got them! I have quite a lot of plants in my tank and find that when they give birth, a fair few get eaten but the rest are quite quick and swim into the plants. Java moss is excellant at keeping them safe!

Then I just gently catch them in a net pop them in a breeder's net. If you wait a little bit after you turn the lights out, they come out to get some food.
Some of them are quite hardcore and have been swimming around in the big tank for a couple of weeks without being eaten and I have a very, very greedy fat molly who eats everything!

You will find that it's very difficult to save them all and keep them because they do get big fast and eat a lot plus they add to the bio load. But if you're like me, then you save them all:p

Luckly, I've found some good homes for them :) and I'm keeping a few too;)

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
Agree with Cammie - java moss should be in your tank if you are expecting more fry - it will help the fry stay safe from hungry mouths! You may have some fry survive in the main tank, or as Cammie says, you can try to very gently scoop them into the breeder's net.

iDOWN

New Fish
May 17, 2010
Louisiana
Like I said before, only two were born. One live, and one premature. The live one went missing before I got home with my breeder's net. I just took her out of the breeder's net. She doesn't look very pregnant (and never did). If she does look pregnant later, I'll put her back in.