pregnant guppy

AquaticTim

Medium Fish
Nov 30, 2010
Wisconsin, USA
So I definitely have a pregnant guppy. I'd really like to try to save the fry without needing to set up a whole separate tank for them.. (read my signature for other tank mates). It is a 55 gallon tank. Do they make some type of a hang on box that would still allow the water to get in/filter with the rest of the tank? Has anyone used one or reccomend one? Also, after a bit of research, I'd say she's pretty close to giving birth, would it hurt to put her in the box now? And once she has given birth, should I remove the mother right away or is there some type of 'weening' period. What's the best food for the fry? I currently feed my fish flake food daily and frozen brine shrimp once a week. How long should I wait before letting the fry back in the big tank? (there is a good chance I would use this method for Platys, danios and possibly corys if I'm lucky as well) Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

AquaticTim

Medium Fish
Nov 30, 2010
Wisconsin, USA
YouTube - How to make a Homemade Breeders trap I'm actually now leading towards something like this, but making a smaller basket inside the larger one, and slots for the fry to drop into the lower basket (how wide of slots would I need, never had guppy fry before, new to livebearers. Would this work?... What does everyone else here use? Thanks for any suggestions/input

Last edited:

AquaticTim

Medium Fish
Nov 30, 2010
Wisconsin, USA
I'm thinking something along these lines.. It would hang on the side of the tank. I'd put her in until she gives birth... wait a day or so to make sure she's done and to give her her own space to rest for a bit, then put her back in the main tank and remove the smaller box she was in.. And let the little fellas grow for a month or so before releasing them back into the main tank. Thoughts? opinions? ideas? pics of your own DIY? Sick of me yet? Thanks for the ideas!

Attachments

AquaticTim

Medium Fish
Nov 30, 2010
Wisconsin, USA
forgot to draw the hole in the breeder tank.. I would have a several very small holes so it would be using the same tank water as main tank, and be filtered with it.. I guess how small do they need to be so the fry can't get out. Also how wide should the slits be on the bottom of the little box so the fry can sink down but mommy wont (will they go down on their own and not swim right back in?

AquaticTim

Medium Fish
Nov 30, 2010
Wisconsin, USA
Im thinking about also making a couple dividers to fit into it so I could seperate up to 3 different prefos at a time (just in case) Can fry from different fish, possible different species live together if I didn't divide the bigger box?

Oct 29, 2010
It would seem like it could be easier to make the box out of a fine mesh. This would allow more waterflow and you wouldn't have to worry about making the holes too big and losing fry.

If you made a mesh breeding net with three dividers, java moss in the bottom, and didn't put a divider between mom her own fry until you removed her, they would most likely be fine.

The java moss would provide good shelter, and I believe that I have read that female fish do not eat for some time after they give birth. So if you caught her pretty quickly you would not suffer too many losses, and the mesh would provide a healthy way to keep the babies.

Here is a cheap net, or you could DIY.
Lee's Aquarium Net Breeder Box - Fish.com

Platy and guppy babies would do well together. Just make sure the smallest get enough to eat once you have a few different age groups.

Very fine crushed fish food does fine. Java moss would probably trap some fine particles for them to nibble as well.

Also - do your best never to net baby fry. They are fragile and easily injured.

AquaticTim

Medium Fish
Nov 30, 2010
Wisconsin, USA
After looking online for ideas.. I've found that petsmart and petco (both in my hometown) sell a similar breeding box for under 10 dollars. I think I'll just go that route lol. Anyway.. I've read that I should put another female in with any pregnant one so they don't get too stressed out, is this true? AND should I paint the 3 sides and bottom of the box not facing the outside of the tank so she isn't frightened by other tank mates or bothered by males? If so, what is a safe product to use inside the tank? Thanks in advance!

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
For just slightly more than the small breeder net you can set up a small aquarium DIY style. You will need:

1 - Foam filter (Mine was 8 bucks for a 25 gallon rated)
1 - Clear plastic container (Mine was 8 bucks for a 27 quarts)

If you can rig up a mesh net on the bottom big enough to let the fry through but small enough to keep the mom out that's all you'll need. Otherwise, dump as many hiding plants as you can manage into your cheap plastic tank. Java moss, guppy grass, wisteria, medium sized rocks, all work well.

Why a new tank? Because fish don't like sitting in breeder boxes. It stresses them out and they may give premature birth, killing the fry and possibly the mom.

As soon as you know that all the fry have been birthed, move the mom back to the main tank. Otherwise, she'll start eating her own babies.

Cycle: Normally you can just keep the foam filter in your main tank until you need to use the plastic tub. That'll keep the cycle running in enough media. If you're doing this spur of the moment you can use dirty change water from a solidly cycled tank and some decorations and such (pretty much everything in a cycled tank has beneficial bacteria) to kick start things.

I haven't bred guppies myself, but I believe some will drop them all at the same time and others drop them 2-3 at a time. I could be thinking about endlers though.

AquaticTim

Medium Fish
Nov 30, 2010
Wisconsin, USA
I already picked up a breeder tank from petsmart today... didn't realize how small they are.. I don't know why they put a divider in there for two pregnant ones... Once she gives birth, I'd take her out and let the fry swim in the whole breeder and I doubt 2 females would give birth at the same exact time... So i'd have to let the fry swim in a 1 inch by 3 inch by 6 inch area if I wanted to leave a pregnant female above them... hmm may have to get multiple ones.... Or am still considerring building my own.. but at least now that I have this one I can take my time with my diy

AquaticTim

Medium Fish
Nov 30, 2010
Wisconsin, USA
hmm.. The one that I knew for sure was pregnant just died in the breeder before giving birth.. grrr. I think that little box gives them too much stress.. I think I'll make a bigger one similar to what I drew above and possibly paint the sides facing the rest of the tank so she isn't stressed out and harrassed by the other fishies.. If I keep the moss and gravel on the bottom as drawn, maybe next time she won't be so stressed.. What can I use to paint it that is safe for the aquarium?

AquaticTim

Medium Fish
Nov 30, 2010
Wisconsin, USA
Yeah.. I was just hoping to save some fry.. didn't think it would kill her, I kept an eye on her and she wasn't going nuts or breathing hard.. next morning she's dead. Any suggestions on what kind of paint is safe if I make a new much bigger box?

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
There's supposed to be some krylon cammo paint that's fish safe. I'm not sure what it is though.

Fish are usually okay in a breeder box for about an hour max from what I've heard. After that would be dicey. Fry will come and go. It's the grown fish you have to pay attention to.

AquaticTim

Medium Fish
Nov 30, 2010
Wisconsin, USA
I agree that the adult fish is more important, but I'd also really like to see some fry. So I'm just to keep the breeder box in case by some miracle I am at home in my bedroom watching the tank when she starts layin fry? Would a bigger say 18 inch by 10 inch by 10 inch box that is painted so she cant be stressed by other fish work? There would be, by my calculations, over 7 gallons.. probably 5 gallons if I try to seperate the fry until she's out. Am I wasting my time? Pretty new to livebearers and have never really tried breeding any fish much.

Feb 27, 2009
This is the link to a paint that is safe for in-tank use:

Krylon: Products: Camouflage Paint with Fusion Technology

However, I don't think a tank she can't see out of will make her less stressed. Because she is in a different environment, away from others like her, away from the plants/deco she had before that made her feel safe, all those changes cause stress.

Back when I bred livebearers, I had more luck putting a few females in a 10 gallon tank (the main tank was 30 gallons). The 10 gallon tank had lots of mosses, rocks, driftwood, etc. A lot of fry survived as they had tons of hiding places to get away from hungry adults. They instinctively dive for cover if it is available.

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
Have to agree with Aak and OC here. Any new environment, whether the water parameters are identical or not, can cause fish stress; a very pregnant fish is extra-susceptible to stress. If you want surviving fry, put the pregnant livebearer(s) in their own densely planted tank well before they look like they are going to give birth - the fry will indeed hide and escape being eaten (or at least quite a few of them). Casual aquarists frequently find livebearer fry hiding unbeknownst in their community tanks' nooks 'n crannies all the time . . . .