puffer food

slurpor

Large Fish
Jun 21, 2003
CA
Visit site
I've never tried it but have heard that malaysian shells are too thick for the puffers to chew so they supposedly don't eat them (?). That said- my dwarf puffers just suck the snail out of it's shell- they don't chew the shell at all (as far as I can tell) so I can't see what difference it makes.

phOOey

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Nottingham, UK
well malaysian trumpets snails have some of the hardest shells out there, i doubt a puffer could break it. if they suck the snail out like some loaches do, you could still feed it to them though. but this kind of defies the point of feeding them the snails to where down there beak. however if you plan on dwarf puffers i heard that they dont seem to have a problem with overgrown beaks and snails are fed just for treats and such.

Nov 27, 2004
New Orleans
Visit site
yeah, dwarf puffers arent the same in regards to their beaks with over growing. if you want to feed them snails that they will actually break the shell of then you need to get those little pond snails you see in every tank at like a petsmart or petco or wherever, and if the snail is bigger than like the puffers eye then it cant really eat it by breaking the shell

ram man

Superstar Fish
Apr 16, 2005
Arizona
ok my tanks is infested and i dont want the puffers to hurt them selfs. is there a way to remove the snails cause im gettin 3 puffers to day.

ram man

Superstar Fish
Apr 16, 2005
Arizona
yes, the rams died. so i got the puffers and they are mor einterested in my pebbles than my snails, i have 1 male and 2 females. it was an impulse by. i have had them for an hour and all is well. hopfuly some pond snails have hitched a ride on my new plants.

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
the adult snails will probably be too big for the puffers to chow on (hopefully) but the babies could present a problem.
Yikes, you could have a problem here. Everyone is right the puffers could chip & break their teeth trying to get to the snail. And if they have laid eggs then you are going to have a constant problem with them. The puffers have only been in there for a little whil and may not be hungry right now, but I bet they will notice those snails in short order.
Not sure what to tell you, too bad you hadn't waited to get the puffers until after the snail situation was under control. No going back now :(

slurpor

Large Fish
Jun 21, 2003
CA
Visit site
I've also heard that puffers need to chew or their teeth will grow long like rodents. But I'm not convinced that is really true in the case of dp's. First of all, has anyone witnessed an actual case of dp with overgrown teeth? I've never heard of it happening. Second, anyone who has ever kept rodents knows that they chew anything and everything that is chewable, and they chew all the time. If dp's needed to chew, why wouldn't they chew your plants, driftwood, and equipment as well? A gerbil would. I think dp's eat snails only because they are molluscivores(sp?) and have a jones for escargot, not because they need to file down their teeth. I may be wrong, but I vaccum up tons of empty, intact (unchewed) snail shells every week. They go for the meat and care less about the shells. I doubt if your puffers will chew on the MTS's until their teeth break, but they may not be able to eat them if they have a trap door. Rams horn or pond snails are definitely better. It helps to keep a population of feeders snails in a separate tank, that way you have a constant supply.

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
Great, a snails only tank will be the way to go! *thumbsup2 Hopefully you will be able to get all of the snails out of there...good luck trying.
However, I can't say I understand or agree with the comparing a fish with beaks/teeth to a rodent in their chewing activities, but yeah, they can chip and break their teeth on trumpet snails. Their teeth aren't the same as our teeth or other animals teeth, they are more the consistancy of our fingernails - easy to break.

slurpor

Large Fish
Jun 21, 2003
CA
Visit site
I used to have a snail "problem" in my other tank- there is such a thick carpet of java moss I could never get rid of them all. Now that I have puffers in another tank, I am glad I have my own supply of free snails! Once a week I use a turkey baster to suck out whatever snails I see- usually about 20 or so. I no longer have snails crawling everywhere in that tank, and my puffs get a treat once a week in the other tank. It's a win-win situation. You probably don't even need a real tank to grow snails. You could probably use a large jar with a lid. Just add some pond snails (the lfs might even give them to you), and add some food and they will reproduce. They'll eat plant clippings, algae wafers, veggies, etc.

ram man

Superstar Fish
Apr 16, 2005
Arizona
love me u say? how long does it take them to get thier appetite back. i use a water dropper to put blood worms in there and i havent seen them eat one. will they eat ghost shrimp?