Purple hair algae

Nov 15, 2005
Port Dover Ontario
yeah im not goin change it that much like maybe 2 hours off or so maybe 3 but im adding in some RO water soon and i dont have coral so im not worried about that but agin do you think its alrigthj to add some fish because it been a month thx for the tips. o and also my dad went to big als today and the guy there said it could just be an algae bloom because i looked at it and its more hairy than slimy plz help thx you

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
dont add another fish....do you not understand? fish=waste=algae problems, adding another fish, esp a tang will cause you more problems...please go buy a good book and read it...it will be a better investment than buying a fish at this point, "The new marine aquarium" by mike paletta is a good place to start.

sparker

Medium Fish
Aug 22, 2005
ohio
hey fishchaser, slow down buddy, why not take care of one thing at a time. your trying to do too much at one time. take care of the algae first get it under control then make the next move. read up on some info too.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I agree. adding another fish = more waste = more algae. Try googling cyanobacteria for some info on how to fix this - it is possible

Nov 15, 2005
Port Dover Ontario
o and another thing i lowered the lighting last night and theres not much left now my clean up crews doin good but i think a tang would help i am adding about 5 gallons of Ro water tonite but its not the same temperature it almost but not really do you think it will matter becuase its only that uch or should i warm it up

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Well for a start the colour is near irrelevant - cyano comes in virtually any colour you can think of. You might find a ctenochaetus tang might help out, but I do not think a common yellow or scopas will do diddly for you here. Ignoring the fact that common yellows don't commonly touch anything but green , but this is purple, slimy, and spreading on the sand bed - cyano.

Cyano - I think the man at the great petstore is wrong - what does he mean by a common red algae bloom? What precisely does he think it is?

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
listen....I don't think pet stores are generally "great" as sources of information, I used to work in the nicest salt water Aquarium shop in the Mass/conn/RI area....and even there there were people that would give bad advice....bottom line is it is a business, they need to sell you stuff to stay open...if you buy the tang then it will fuel the algae problem...no matter what kind of algae it is. Then you come back to them and they will sell you some algae remover...which wont work...then finally they will sell you an RO unit...why would we mislead you....there are like 10 people here telling you what it is, we have all seen it before, you havent, and you never know how knowledgeable the guys at the pet store are, I have met some complete idiots when it comes to salt water...and they work in "reputable" fish stores....Take our advice or not, it is up to you....stop trying to refute what we are telling you...you have algae, our advice will help get rid of it...and another thing, I have never heard of a "common" red algae bloom, just a heads up.

sparker

Medium Fish
Aug 22, 2005
ohio
everyone in here is telling you the same thing fishchaser, are any of us making money by giving you information? uh......NO. do yourself a favor and listen to these guys they have been doing saltwater for a long time and arent making a dime from you. befor too long they aren't going to answer any of your questions if ya don't start heeding their advice.