Question-o

Feb 8, 2006
Vancouver,British Columbia
Does Big Als have any good in Sump Protein Skimmers????

Sorry I hjave that $550 GC at Big Als, and I am looking for a decent one from there, but from what I see there are none.... ARGH!!! lol....

Anyone use any of the in sump skimmers from Big Als?
http://www.bigalsonline.ca/BigAlsCA/...wType=Category

Is there a difference between these two pumps? or are they the same with different names?
Danner Mag-Drive 700 Supreme Water Pump &
Supreme Mag Drive 7 Utility Pump

Just doing some price comparison between J&L and Big Als, because Big Als beats competitors prices and because I have that GC trying to get everything worth it....

ha ha always editing this... aslo can I get some honest opinions on what are the best types of powerheads.... and if any of them are avaialble at Big Als....? and if not, what ar ethe best ones at Big Als....

Sorry there are not many reviews on any sites for powerheads, so i am looking for honest opinions from individuals that hav eused them... APPRECIATE IT

Is a Filter required when doing SW..? or because I am using a sump that is sufficient?

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2006
Alright, all about that....

Been reading some of your posts as you are doing your own DIY Sump as well, (which I am doing as well) I am still confused on some things.....

I have drilled my tank, and so I am goign to be building my own overflow box, do I need anything else..? I know I need a waterpump to bring the water from the sump back to the tank but do I just let dravity take over then? as it flows into the overflow box, and then goes down the plumbing?

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
the return pump raises the water level in your main tank creating the overflow....whatever water get pumped back into the tank just overflows back down to the sump ....atleast thats what understand

Feb 8, 2006
Ok good stuff, thats what I understand as well, ha ha I am always doubel checking becuase just 'reading' what it does, doesn't go thru to me, I like 'seeing' how things work, and so its always better when i have someone 'confirm' what I am thinking ha ha

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
Dennis-Pir said:
Is there a difference between these two pumps? or are they the same with different names?
Danner Mag-Drive 700 Supreme Water Pump &
Supreme Mag Drive 7 Utility Pump
i think so but u dont want that...70 watts can build up a lot of heat and noise...and the power bill

try getting a tunze or seio

Feb 8, 2006
Damn, wow... that could not have dumbed it down ANYMORE for me... ha ha Seriously I appreciate that.... Wow.... thats great, alright well I get it now, especially since I have my tank drilled that'll save me from having that overflow box....

Appreciate that

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
CoolWaters said:
i think so but u dont want that...70 watts can build up a lot of heat and noise...and the power bill

try getting a tunze or seio
That will work fine for a return pump. I have a Mag 12 (110 watts) and it raises my temps a couple degrees at the very least. There's not much you can do to get around heat and power consumption.
Tunzes and Seios are for water movement (like a powerhead). You'll end up going with Seios over Tunzes because of the price. I must say the Streams+controller are on my wish list.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
SEIO's are great for water movement but can't be put on any type of wavemaker so you may want to avoid them if that is your ultimate goal. If you want something for a wavemaker you can't go wrong with Maxi-jets.

In sump skimmer, my choice of course is the Aqua Remora Urchin for in sump

Feb 8, 2006
So far I am purchasing with my 550$ GC from Big Als.....

Just wondering if its any good.... I.E. The powerheads...

Aquarium Systems Maxi-Jet 1200 Power Head 295 G.P.H. X 2
Caribe Sea Crushed Coral - 40lbs
Instant Ocean 160g mix
Supreme Mag Drive 7 (for my return on my sump)

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2006
Sump won't FIT =(

So just went down into my storage area brought up my 33g tank, that I plan on using as my sump for my 55, and it doesn't fit underneath the STAND GRRRRRRRRR

Here we can see a close up of the tank... grrrr

This is showing the 33g tank on top of the legs of the stand and as we can see it doesn't fit......

Here are the pictures to show.... so now I'm wondering if I should sell this tank and then try and get a different one.... GRRRRR
Or if someone knows of a way to do a DIY tank stand ... lol.... ghrrr... I'll post pictures of the full stand plus 55g tank...

Here are some better pictures of the tank ..

Last edited:

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
your plan so far looks alright exept the crushed coral ....as far as fitting the sump under the 55 thats the same problem im going through right now only my tank is filled and been setup 2 years so im kinda scared to mod the stand leaving me with no options besides a tiny sump wich is what i decided on since i only want it as a place to grow macro ;)

Feb 8, 2006
Deep sand bed.. or bare bottom.... hmmmm ok..... well thats good to know..... I've never tried a bare bottom tank before..... i was just wondering if I wanted to get crabs or anything if they would appreciate the sand or substrate more.... but I guess I am just doing a FOWLR right now.. ok take that back NO CRABS lol..

Last edited: