readme please respond

mattdoe78

Medium Fish
Jun 6, 2005
thibodaux, la
www.knsu.com
ok Ive seen the jbjs and I like them Im a cichild person but im falling in love with the nano setup. If i have a 10 gallon bare tank just with a hood and a light what equipment would i need I have a coiuple of hanguon filters but I ve never used an ugf. the lfs around here are like nano reff tank whats that? lol Um is it better to use a ugf or a power filter or what in a 10 gal tank the websites that every1 recommend suck theres no reference to what kind of filter I should use. PLEASE some1 help me so I can help others in the future.

derajer

Large Fish
Mar 16, 2005
Ankeny, Iowa
You can use both types of filters together. The food thing about UGFs is that they are great biological filters and they help to prevent bad bacteria from growing in your gravel. The bad thing about them is that they limit your plant selection, and if anything does go wrong with them you have to tear down the tank just to get it out. This doesn't happen very often in my experience though.

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
yeah JBJ make those popular nano glass cubes. They are a subsidary of JBS Lighting. Or maybe its the other way around..not sure. But they are related to each other.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
jbj lighting is the company which makes nano-cubes

UGFs are sucktastic for SW setups...its a really stupid way to do things (not to be blunt). it is also best to remove filter media from any hob/canister filters you are running on a SW setup because they produce nitrates like crazy. LR provides all the biological filtration one needs in a marine setup.

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
UGF imo are a bad idea on a small tank, I think it would just be asking for a crash, and with such a small volume of water parameters should be as stable as possible. I believe UGF are not a positive option for nano's

mattdoe78

Medium Fish
Jun 6, 2005
thibodaux, la
www.knsu.com
ok Im prob going to start the tank just with 2 hangon 10g power filters without media and some live rock. By august when I move back to the dorms I'll need to move the tank if I put the live rock and some water in a 5 gallon bucket to transport will that work? 1 more question whats the cheapest lighting I can buy for this 10 gallon nano setup? Everyone chats here in insane fish talk its like playing football with DnD players. lol no offense here. It was nice to join this chat though thanks for all the feedback. I have learned that setting up a salt tank is complicated meaning when setting up a cichild tank all you need is alot of water and some cons and a filter with salt you need to prepare for the unexpected before setup lol

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Hang on s with regular water changes will kepp you out of trouble. I do weekly or twice weekly 50% changes on my nano, and have the easiest setup in the world.
Water + live rock + powerheads + heater + light

What lighting you use is up to you .....
Try this thread .... you will likely need to sign up to reefcentral though...

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=522430&highlight=nano

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Actually my nano is only 5 gallons. I setup it up almost as joke to see how low maintenance/low tech I could do it. Lets just say if you do the big water changes you can go really, really low tech.
Hardware is tank, 18 watt light, heater , 75 GPH powerhead pointing up and thats it. Livestock is some star polyps and heliopora, plus whatever came with a bunch of live rock rubble that covers the bottom for an inch at leastg. no sand.

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
oh wow. I was just asking cause I'm thinking about setting up a 12 gal nano cube and was wondering how much water I need to change every week or 2 weeks..I was thinking 25%

Kippo

New Fish
May 25, 2005
Nottinghamshire, England
A friend of mine was gonna buy a nano cube, are they the best thing for beginners ?? cos i wouldnt mind having a go at creating a salt water tank but im gonna wait until i am sure i know exactly what im doing, and i would have to have it imported from America which is annoying

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
You can always assemble he thing yourself, the JBJ cubes are ok, but really not that great.

You could try and look around on ebay/ultimatereef.net for a secondhand aquamedi chromis which is an all in one 2 foot cube with a half decent skimmer and 150 watt halide (5 or 600 new).

When you look at home much salt is (cheapo, but a bucket for 50 dollars), it is so obvious to do those changes. I have a load of 10 litre buckets i use for most things. Being lazy it is thus logical for me to make up water a bucket at a time. So for you, I'd probably be doing 25% a week , or more often. Those water changes are jsut so good at avoiding problems, it makes life so easy.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
For those of you in the UK, don't forget that the power is different in the US, and you will have to get a power converter/transformer to run electrical equipment built for the US.

Our LFS has had a 12 gallon (non deluxe) nanocube set up for about a year, and they say it's one of the lowest maintenance tanks in the store. Of course, they also have larger tanks and almost unlimited stock if they want to add or remove fish or inverts. They generally have a couple of small clowns and a goby in there, as well as a couple of small hermit crabs.

I really like the look of the JBJ nanocubes, and may do a couple at some point in the future. The 6g looks like it would be nice as a FW nano, and maybe a 12g as an invert/LR tank.