Red Tail Shark Losing Color

bartnl

Small Fish
Jan 30, 2009
Ok, so I've had a tank for 23 days and I did a fish cycle with the fish I have listed below(I know I'm going to need a bigger tank for all of them, getting a bigger one in the summer) and no fish ever acted weird and all survived(a lot of work for me!). I have a question about my RTS. He is fine during the day when the light is on. Really black and red tail, all is good. But when i turn the light off he loses his red tail and it's just clear. Last night I turned off the light in the aquarium and the shark's tail turned white which happens every time. I watched tv for another 4 hours and throughout this whole time I heard the RTS jumping a lot. Turned the light on to see what was happening and its black was almost white. Was this because of the tv flashing light into the tank and scaring it? My other fish just hung out together hiding.
My water parameters are:
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: .1ppm
Nitrate: 5-10ppm
PH: 7.5
Temp: 78F

Joeyb1731

Large Fish
Jan 20, 2009
Oceanside NY
Im not 100% so maybe someone will tell me if im wrong, but im pretty sure that fish loose alot of their color when the tank lights are off, I know my fish get dull, never white, but very dull when the lights off, also my fish lost some color when I was in my nitrite spike during my cycle from stress i think, since the nitrite spike is over and my tank is now cycled, my fish are brighter then ever

Jun 21, 2008
I have also noticed that especially my cardinal tetras look almost see through and dull at night. My clown loaches color also fades and gets brighter due to mood, etc. I wouldn't worry about it too much. You should keep an eye on your nitrites though, they should be at 0. You may be having a mini cycle, or your cycle may not be 100% over.

Feb 8, 2009
Fish do have an amazing ability to change colors. I believe their attitude also affects how bright the colors are. Pale white doesn't sound good, but if there are no other conditions I wouldn't worry too much. There's some kind of Horn Fish, or something, that changes colors all the time.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Scared fish pale in color. It's hard to tell from outside a fishtank but when you have the light on the "walls" of the tank turn into mirrors and fish can't see outside the tank. When you turn the lights off they can see what's going on outside the tank. Bright flashing lights (like a TV) or people constantly walking back and forth in front of the tank can startle them and in turn make their colors appear paler. When they calm down again their colors reappear.

bartnl

Small Fish
Jan 30, 2009
ya my cycle won't be over for another couple days i'm guessing that's why the nitrites aren't at 0. and ya that's what i thought...the tv probably scaring the fish so i'll try putting a cloth over it just to see if it'll work. thanks for all the suggestions!

simplyfish

Medium Fish
Feb 18, 2008
My RTS has a pale tail every day when I come in. The office he is in is dark until the office lights go on, so that could be scaring him when they ccome on, he doesn't really start to colour up properly until the tank light is turned on a few minutes later.

I remember when I first bought him from the pet store his body was almost white with stress and his tail was a pale red at best in the tank. He is now the traditional rich black and red you would expect.

I think these fish lose colour quickly when stressed, I moved offfices about 6 months ago and I remember he looked very pale when we bagged him up.

I guess it is both things really, I think they discolour in the dark and they also react badly when stressed.

Why not try a moonlight bulb in the tank, this should help keep the tank sides 'mirrored' and also look very cool at night. whilst not illuminating your whole room and affecting yourr TV enjoyment....

Mar 16, 2009
help me!!! Red tail shark issues

I have had my red tail shark for about a week now and I noticed that his tail has gone from bright red to a faded pinkish color,his body has gone from a dark black to a dark gray and he keeps rubbing his sides against the gravel (ground). I was wondering if anyone new what was wrong.I have a twenty nine gallon tank and I have had it for 3 weeks *GOLDFISH*

Apr 14, 2004
Northern Michigan
Visit site
I've had a rainbow shark that varied in how dark the black was on him. Generally at night fish seem to lose color, perhaps because maintaining the pigment requires extra effort from the body and doesn't need the color if it is dark. This would also explain why they lose color when stressed. If they are stressed, their bodies need not waste energy flashing their colors. These colors probably have some purpose in the wild, I just have no idea what it is. I image stripes serve the same purpose zebra stripes do, to confuse predators on the outline of their bodies when in a big group. Fish can see in color so I am sure the color is specifically adapted for other fish to see.

Alkiazer

Medium Fish
Sep 27, 2008
ABQ
www.oniclangaming.com
Red tailed sharks can sometimes take up to a month or two in a tank ( with the right conditions ) before really becoming colorful and even more time to completely fill in. a happy healthy RTBS will be completely black ( excluding females that tend to have grey underbellys ), jet black so to say except for their blood red tail fin and the white tips that form on the other fins. In order for a RTBS or any FW shark in its family like a rainbow or a albino red tail to become happy enough to gain its full color it must be housed in a tank no smaller than 50g, it must be kept with compatible fish mates here is an excellent guide Freshwater Fish Compatibility Chart: Avoid Incompatible Species, the water parameters must keep steady, any ammonia levels will stress out your shark and cause it to lighten color, it must be fed appropriately( sharks like sinking pellet food only over time will they accept fish flakes ) if you follow these guidelines anyone that has a fw shark will have a brilliantly collored, exciting centerpiece for their community tank.

If i were to guess why yours is loosing color it may be unhappy with the tanksize, tankmates, or could just need some time to adjust.

A happy redtail will always be deep black and have a blood red tail regardless of lighting or time of day. its color depends on its happiness.the biggest thing i can say is make sure to have compatible tank mates, for the RTBS is very aggressive to certain species. hope this helped.

Last edited:

Alkiazer

Medium Fish
Sep 27, 2008
ABQ
www.oniclangaming.com
I didn't feel like editing my post I just wanted to add I have my tank in between a big screen tv with surround sound and a high traffic hallway and my RTBS is the most vibrantly colored one with deep black, and red, and very white tips I have ever seen in picture or not, and never changes colors, at any time. Sadly I do not have a camera so I cant show you =<

It did however take about 7 months for her to get that way. so the biggest thing is time for them to gain full color. if your gonna get it some pellets I suggest omega one sinking shrimp pellets they defiantly helped with the nutritional balance mine needed to gain all the colors.

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
I have had my red tail shark for about a week now and I noticed that his tail has gone from bright red to a faded pinkish color,his body has gone from a dark black to a dark gray and he keeps rubbing his sides against the gravel (ground). I was wondering if anyone new what was wrong.I have a twenty nine gallon tank and I have had it for 3 weeks *GOLDFISH*

Ammonia poisoning.

Do a 50% water change being sure to use dechlorinator and match the water temp. Then go read the beginner stickies at the top of the beginner forum. That will tell you what's going on.