Red Zebra On The Ropes

Oct 22, 2002
Yesterday afternoon I witnessed, for the first time, my Maylandia Crabro (bumblebee) attacking my Maylandia Estherea (red zebra.)  These two are about 5" and have been rostermates in a 55g for about a year now.  They live with a 6-7" pleco and two 4" Synodontis Multipunctatus.  Tank conditions are such:  (ph 7.6 due to non-cichlids, temp 78, no ammo or nitrIte, nitrAte of 30ppm, and no salt or other additives except Nov-Aqua to remove chlorine.)

Anyhow, until yesterday the red zebra was the one doing the chasing.  I watched them for a few minutes, and went about my business.  About three hours later, I saw the Zebra uptop rather severly beaten.

My two other tanks are total Malawi tanks with ph of 8.4, no ammo or nitrIte, nitrAte of 20ppm, and do have salt, trace elements, and buffers from Kent along with Kent Pro-Tech to remove chlorine.  The smaller tank has 10 africans from 1-2.5" and the bigger tank (55g) has just one Chipokae (male) awaiting a harem of females.

I fed the abuser (bumblebee) good and turned lights off.  This morning I covered the tank totally.  When I just checked (now 15 hours after discovering the zebra beaten) he is doing so-so, but thankfully still living.  Due to differing tank set-ups, I am scared of moving him.  Due to no-salt policy in his tank, I am scared of adding salt to heal his battering marks.  Other than what I have done, any ideas???  THANX in advance!