Remains on bottom

Jan

Medium Fish
Jun 27, 2004
Canada
Three of my fish swim around, eat, and then lie down at the bottom. What's going on?:(

Jan

Medium Fish
Jun 27, 2004
Canada
Just common goldfish.

Edit: They arn't in the 10gal anymore, I moved them into a new 20gal home for now.

Last edited:

TurbineSurgeon

Superstar Fish
Feb 27, 2004
Dallas, TX
Visit site
Since you put them in a brand new tank that isn't cycled, they are probably suffering from ammonia poisoning. If the previous tank has cycled, you could put some filter media from that tank in the new one to kick start the bacteria you need. Any more than one goldfish is overcrowding a 20 gallon tank. As a temporary measure, you could perform daily 25-50% water changes to help dilute the toxins being dumped by your fish.

I just scanned through your previous posts to see if I could find out what might be happenning, and it seems that you have been warned by several people here about the overcrowded conditions you are providing.

Jan

Medium Fish
Jun 27, 2004
Canada
The 20gal has been cycling for almost 3 weeks. What do I do with the filter media from the other tank? just put it into the filter?

I also added some "cycle".

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2003
Illinois
Visit site
4 common goldfish in a 20 gallon is really over stocked. How often are you cleaning gravel and how large and how often are you changing the water? These fish grow to about 14" and should have 20 gallons per fish even when young. I would move these fish to a bigger tank soon. They develope major long term health problems as they age if they are kept in this type of situation.

trouthead

Superstar Fish
May 4, 2004
United Kingdom
Visit site
Jan, I always have to take a few deep breaths after you post.

8-10 days between water changes is insufficient for lightly stocked tanks. Breathes in, yours is the most heavily stocked tank that I have ever heard of.

You mentioned 2 gouramis recently, did they join your 5 goldfish in the 10g tank?

Breathes in again, please take seriously the advice we all are trying to give you. Until you have a suitable tank , lots and lots of water changes please.

Jan

Medium Fish
Jun 27, 2004
Canada
Calm down abit..trouthead.

I do take the advice you guys give me seriously, If not than I wouldn't bother posting at all.

I have two tanks. A 10gal and a 20gal.
The goldfish are in the 20gal.

How many water changes should I do per day?
I've been doing two so far.

And is adding "cycle" good?

Last edited:

trouthead

Superstar Fish
May 4, 2004
United Kingdom
Visit site
Hi Jan

I have had a couple of days to calm down, current mode "relaxed".

I am glad to read that you are doing the water changes. The danger is, as the tank is currently cycling you could get lethal doses of ammionia and then later nitrite.

The number of water changes is dependant of how quickly your ammonia builds up to dangerous levels. I am guessing with your stocking it is pretty rapid, but maybe someone else could be more precise.

Once your tank has cycled (maybe a week, if you have added the old filter media) you can relax the water change regime a bit. Until then, unless you are closely monitoring your ammonia and nitrite levels, I would go with 2 x 25% water changes per day. I am a novice, so others may be able advise you better.

I personally don't believe adding by cycle helps, but don't know of any harm caused by adding it.

Last edited: