Resuming with fishless cycle

Fancypants

Medium Fish
Jan 27, 2005
Vancouver area -Whiterock
Visit site
Ok, I just got back from my week long road trip, that I had to take mid-cycle. I tested the water this morning, and I had no reading for ammonia, my Nitrites are at about 1.6, haven't tested for nitrates yet. What should I do from here? Tank hasn't been fed ammonia in a week.

ozziegt

Large Fish
Feb 26, 2005
If your nitrates are so high and nitrites so low, it might be close to done, although you might need to build your ammonia bacteria back up again. Do what Lotus said. :)

lothaekor

Small Fish
Mar 3, 2005
Well, if in a 24 hour period, the ammonia returns to 0, and the nitrites are 0, then you have enough of each bacteria to handle new fish. If it doesn't drop to 0, well, keep feeding ammonia to the tank to get it up to 5 ppm until the bacteria have grown to the point where they can process all the ammonia in a day.

Leaving the tank for about a week may have killed off some of the bacteria, but I don't think it should take you all that long to get your bacteria back to where they should be.

Hope this helps.

Fancypants

Medium Fish
Jan 27, 2005
Visit site
Well, the tank is now actively lowering the ammonia to zero on a daily basis, but it's still working on the nitrites... But it's getting there. Once they've reached zero, theoretically, should the tank be able to lower both the ammonia and nitrites to zero within 24 hours of adding 5 ppms of ammonia? I can't wait to complete my very firstest fishless cycle!

Fancypants

Medium Fish
Jan 27, 2005
Visit site
Ok, something's fishy with my nitrite test stuff. Says I need to wait 2 minutes for colour to develope. So after I add the 5 drops of this and 5 drops of that, the colour is a really vibrant purple, but then after the 2 mins it turns to a pale orange... Not supposed to be orange! Then I go and test my "established" tank and there's no colour initially, and after 2 mins... a vibrant purple! Apparently I have like 1.6 mg's of nitrites in my 3 month old tank... what?!?

Fancypants

Medium Fish
Jan 27, 2005
Visit site
Well I just bought the test kits back when I set up my first tank, so about december of last year. hold on, lemme check... Nope, I don't see any date on them. But it would make sense, because my ammonia test stuff also has a bit of a tinge to it, when it used to be clear. Perhaps they're over due?!

Fancypants

Medium Fish
Jan 27, 2005
Visit site
Well... I tested the tap water and there was no colour developement. I test my "established" tank again, and it still shows about 0.3 mg's of Nitrites. Is this possible? I do regular water changes (25% every week) and it's been going for over 3 months now, with no new addition of fish for at least a month. The tests with the new tank still turn pale orange... could it be that there is so many nitrites that it's off the scale?!?! Geez.. Maybe I'll have to take the water into the LFS and get a second opinion?

schwartzy

Small Fish
Jan 23, 2005
Visit site
I went through this hassle too my friend. I almost quit this hobby after a month of doing the fishless cycle. I wouldnt recommend anyone including an enemy doing a fishless cycle if you have an extra 20 bucks. Save yourself the headache- empty the water out and buy some bio-spira. I would pay 50 dollars for this stuff rather than going through another fishless cycle. Like I said if money isnt an option for around 20 bucks you can save yourself alot of bs.

Joe

By the way, Can anyone help me with telling me how to post pictures on here. Thank you

lothaekor

Small Fish
Mar 3, 2005
Unless, of course, you're in canada and they don't sell them here since you have to have special permits to import bacterial cultures :p

Month and a bit of fishless cycling, and still not getting anywhere :p

ozziegt

Large Fish
Feb 26, 2005
Fishless cycling WILL cause your nitrites to go through the roof...you are putting quite a bit of ammonia in there, now I'm not sure it comes close to what a regular bioload puts out.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Fancypants, as your cycle got interrupted, it's possible you have too many nitrites in there. You could try a small water change (10%) and see what happens.

I honestly think fishless cycling is the easiest and cheapest way to cycle a tank. It also helps you understand the cycle better. I've done fishless cycles in a week or less with some seeding. I think I've cycled about 9 tanks, all for less than a dollar for all of them combined.

schwartzy

Small Fish
Jan 23, 2005
Visit site
As I said if money isnt an issue, bio-spira is the way to go. If money is tight, yes Fishless cycle may be the only option. I went through 20 dollars in ibuprofen trying the fishless cycle so it was a horse a piece cost wise-lol

Joe

45 gallon
2 silver dollar
1 mean *** paradise fish
1 red tailed shark
1 albino shark
1 pleco

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
On the test water changing colors, try shaking the kit really well and then trying the test again. I remember that happening to mine, but with a tank that has 0 nitrites it was still bright blue like it was supposed to be. Maybe its also a reaction from having SO MANY nitrites. I agree with Lotus' advice, a week off of adding ammonia could have caused some of the bacteria that convert ammonia to nitrites to die off...but it didn't slow down the bacteria that convert nitrites to nitrate. I wouldn't worry about it. If your readings are all completely off the charte for nitrate and nitrite you might try a water change like Lotus suggested...but chances are good that you are pretty close to the end of your cycle so just have patience :)