Resuming with fishless cycle

ozziegt

Large Fish
Feb 26, 2005
When I was doing a fishless cycle, by the time my ammonia cycle was done my nitrites were at least 20-30ppm, maybe even 40. How do I know this? Because I decided to use bio-spira and it took quite a few water changes to get nitrites back down to a level where I could read them.

No matter what you do cycling is going to take a while unless you have something to seed the tank with.

Fancypants

Medium Fish
Jan 27, 2005
Vancouver area -Whiterock
Visit site
I was in the area, so I stopped by Big Al's and picked up another Nitrite testing kit (made by another company) Just tested the water, and it's supposed to either be blue -which indicates no nitrites- or same varying shade of pink. The water is green. So... I will do as Lotus suggested and I will do a water change and see if I can't bring nitrites down. As for my other tank... Haven't tested it with the new kit yet, but if nitrites are present, what should I do -Aside from a water change. Perhaps I am feeding too much?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
You really shouldn't have any nitrites in an established tank, unless there has been a massive introduction of ammonia, either through uneaten food or a dead fish. In a cycled tank, any ammonia should be converted to nitrates (via nitrites) within a few hours.

It sounds like you're doing everything right, Fancypants. What I often do when cycling is to use the new tank to rinse out my filters from my other tanks. I think it gives the cycle a little boost.

Fancypants

Medium Fish
Jan 27, 2005
Visit site
Just tested my established tank again, after a water change.. Nitrites still read at about 0.5 mg's. Perhaps I feed too much? I have a pleco in there that will be needing to move somewhere else very quickly. I have Hikari sinking algea wafers that are about the size of a penny, I was feeding one every night... Pleco is about 5.5" now.

About the Cycling tank -I did an approx. 25% water change (works out to about that much after making up for water lost through condensation) I tested for nitrites again, and saw the water turn it's brightest pink for a split second before it went green again. Should I do another one right away or in a day or even at all?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I had a thing in one of my tanks awhile ago where I was overfeeding and not cleaning enough at every water change...the nitrites stayed around .5 until I did a really big water change and got all the gunk that had settled to the bottom of the gravel. I dont think .5 is enough to panic over and move fish from the tank.

I think the water change during your cycle was to lower nitrates, not nitrites really...so did you test your nitrates in the cycle tank after the water change?? The important thing with testing the nitrites is to know whether or not there are nitrites present right? Have you tested your tap water to see what your nitrite test kit does? Like Lotus said there shouldn't be any nitrites in tap water, so that would be a good test for your test kit.

Oh...I also dont think you need to worry about lights on in the cycling tank. Temp sounds good and re-seeding the tank as often as you can is a good idea.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Yes, actually sometimes the nitrite spike will get "stuck" because there is such a high level of nitrate in the tank. The suggestion is to do a water change and "make room" for some more nitrate. Usually if this is the case and your tank is 'stuck' then a day or two after your water change you'll see the nitrites finish their peak and land at 0.

You can do it :)

namukoby

Medium Fish
Mar 30, 2005
schwartzy said:
I thought people on these forums had bio-spira shipped to canada from the states.http://www.fishstoretn.com/ Go to that website and you'll be able to have it shipped to you.

Joe
Just a question, schwartzy; if the big aquarium suppliers can't, or won't go through the hassle of getting import papers for bacteria, why would anyone else want to? And if we don't get the permits, we still have to deal with Canadian customs, and although they don't have the best rep in the U.S., they are still pretty good at stopping and confiscating illegal substances. It's kind of like importing drugs - if you get caught. Would you want to take that chance? I certainly wouldn't - however nice it would be to use the biospira.

Fancypants

Medium Fish
Jan 27, 2005
Visit site
Cycling tank tests are still coming back green. "Established" tank is coming back at 2 mg's now... I don't get it?!

Only thing I can think of is that I just put some new rock in the tank, that I found at the garden centre. (cleaned and boiled) I've cut back on the food. Should I do a really big water change, maybe?

Last edited: