Roped into the darkside? (dun dun dun...)

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
So, hubby's been talking about SW for a long time. I was into it, but kinda just decided FW was our thing and adding SW to all the FW was just too much trouble. As time goes on, hubby seems to just want SW more and more, so I started looking into nano tanks figuring that would be the way to start. Now I'm second guessing that decision based on the sticky in the nano section. Soooo... now I come to you guys to figure this mess out... Mind you it will be summer-fall before we'll be ready to start this tank up, but I have a LOT of research to do before I even think about stock and such, so I want to get started now.

So here are the questions I know I need answered before I can move on. Although, like I said, I have alot to learn about SW, so feel free to give me answers to questions I'm not asking as well LOL.

A little background before the questions... We're looking to do something relatively inexpencive (at least as far as SW goes) but stunning. We would like to do some corals, but nothing too intricate. We are eager to do alot of DIY on this one, so please shell out as much info on that as possible. Erm... anything else that would help you help us, feel free to ask. On to the questions...

What would be the best and easiest size to start with? (thinking 10-55gal, thinking we'd like to do a 29gal if that's the best option for us)

With the size tank you suggest, what type of filtration would I need?

Lighting? (I know this depends on what corals I want, but just a general idea)

That's about all I can think up right now, I just want to get some basic info going. I'm of to read everything I can find about beginning with SW.

Let me see how convincing you all are, can you really talk me into this? LOL :p

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
No clue yet, kinda have to figure out what size tank and such first. Besides that, I have no idea about stocking a SW tank or what my options are. I know hubby would like dwarf seahorses, but we really want a diverse group and I know seahorses aren't a good choice for a community tank.

I think maybe a 40 gal breeder would be a good size to start with. Its not so deep that you have to stand on a ladder to reach the bottom and its long enough to give any fish you get some swimming room.

As for filtration, I suggest a small sump/fuge set-up, like maybe a 10-15 gal tank converted to a sump, with a small-ish skimmer. Combine that with LOTS of Live Rock ;) , and you should be good filtration wise.

Lights...ehh... really depends on what y'all want to keep...sps, lps, softies, clams...ya know ;) ...but since you said nothing too intricate...I'd have to say A T5 fixture or PC fixture.

HTH, Brack
*celebrate

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Well to start off.......calling SW the "dark side" is definitely not kosher as most of us salties deplore that catch phrase as there is nothing and I repeat nothing dark about saltwater.........Now.....the above suggestions all have merit and are good solid leads. I lean towards Brack with the 40breeder and lots of live rock as you will gain a full looking tank without a lot of livestock as you say you are on a limited budget. I would start now buying small bits of things you will need. Your largest expense by far will be live rock and lights, especially if you are planning a reef with corals. You can rule out most SPS (small polyp stony corals) and clams as you will probably not want to outlay the amount of $ necessary to buy that high end lighting they require, and by rights should only be put in mature tanks. You will be able to have some great LPS (large polyp stony corals) as they are usually more accepting of lower light and beginner new tanks. You will also be able to have most soft corals such as leathers and polyps. Decide what you want to have and then put a plan together to set it up/equip it/and stock it.

We are here to help and will give you the advice that you will need.

Flowerkid

Large Fish
Mar 12, 2006
i have a 29g and ill just give you some of the info on my tank... i have a 2x65 odessya lighting system. I bought a prizm skimmer and everyone says there bad but as far as i know it works good. I have also the stuff in my sig.

Feb 10, 2006
Bay Area, CA
Lorna said:
Well to start off.......calling SW the "dark side" is definitely not kosher as most of us salties deplore that catch phrase as there is nothing and I repeat nothing dark about saltwater.........
Exactly, nothing dark about saltwater. And there's nothing light about freshwater either.

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
OK, the darkside was an inside joke of sorts, sorry if that offended anyone...

As for what tank. I kinda wanted to just use something I already have, that's why I was leaning towards the 29/30gal or the 55gal, hubby thinks the 55gal might be a bit much to start with, expecially when it comes down to lighting and LR costs.

I am just browsing Liveaquaria's SW selection to give you all an idea of what I am interested in so you can see which direction I am leaning towards. I will get a list up in a bit.

VirgoWolf said:
OK, the darkside was an inside joke of sorts, sorry if that offended anyone...
haha, i remember that...

i personally dont like 29 gallon tanks very much, because they are too narrow, and tall for my liking. if you dont want anything bigger, i'd look into a 30 gallon. also, with narrow tall tanks, it seems like it would be harder to get a good aquascape. for filtration, if you cant/dont want to do a sump, i reccomend a fuge.

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
Lorna said:
Well to start off.......calling SW the "dark side" is definitely not kosher as most of us salties deplore that catch phrase as there is nothing and I repeat nothing dark about saltwater.........

We are here to help and will give you the advice that you will need.

well this thread just reminded me of "the deep dark blue"

yes again theres nothing evil about SW if thats wat ur saying just the price of the equipment that your getting...

we are here to help.

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
Tanks Jenness...

So, here is a list of the fish that cought my eye and seemed feesable for the potential setup we're creating here... (please add to, subract from, or comment on this list as you will, this is just a first glance list here), oh and keep in mind this is just me (not hubby) and only from liveaquaria, so it's a really rough draft...

Catalina Goby
Yellowhead Jawfish
Gramma Basslet
Chalk Bass
Blue Green Reef Chromis
Blue Chromis
True Perc. Clown
Curious Wormfish
Green Mandarin
Spotted Mandarin
Zebra Lionfish
Dragonface Pipefish
Neon Pseudochromis
Purple Pseudochromis
Red Head Solon Fairy
Red Velvet Wrasse
Exquisite Wrasse

Off to look at corals and inverts...

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
Ah yes, the cube tanks... I had looked into the 12 or 24gal ready cube tanks, but was unsure how efficent they are. What are everyone's thoughts on these?

I do really like cube tanks, but I have 2 things making me lean towards normal rectangular tanks... 1) rectangular tanks don't protrude into the room as much as cubed tanks, and 2) I have never seen a cube tank for sale in my area period, ever... so I am sure getting one will be a PITA.

Jan 16, 2004
Syracuse, NY
Catalina Goby- more of a cooler water fish, dont do well longterm in temperatures mid 70's and above
Yellowhead Jawfish- neat fish
Gramma Basslet- nice fish, can beat on smaller fish
Chalk Bass- nice fish
Blue Green Reef Chromis- cool in schools in larger tanks, in small tanks they dont look as good im my opinion
Blue Chromis- same as above
True Perc. Clown- not a bad fish, hardy
Curious Wormfish
Green Mandarin- hard to keep alive in small tanks due to live food requirements
Spotted Mandarin- same
Zebra Lionfish- will eat smaller fish and mobile inverts
Dragonface Pipefish- not the hardiest fish
Neon Pseudochromis- nice, can be pushy with fish its size or smaller
Purple Pseudochromis- same
Red Head Solon Fairy- very nice fish, want one myself
Red Velvet Wrasse- nice
Exquisite Wrasse- nice

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I will advise to go either smaller or larger than a 55. There is just not enough 'play' room. A 75g is my next upgrade since it will give an additional 5 inches of width. Go with the biggest tank you can afford. You'll thank yourself down the road. The only think I don't like is top-offs.

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
Yeah, I don't think we will go larger than a 55 and I see how they are hard to aquascape, expecially with liverock.

I think we will end up going with either the 29/30 gal we have, a cube if I can find one, or one of the cube kits.

I asked hubby if he wanted coral and he definitly wants some kind of coral, so I'm leaning towards a low-moderate lighting. I asked if he would like to do his dwarf seahorses and maybe some pipefish or something or just do normal fish and he said he wants fish, so the sea horses are out, at least for now, he was thinking maybe somewhere down the road we'd setup seahorses for his parents, since they had them while he was growing up. Then he could see them there and get his seahorse fix LOL.

So >30 gal tank
low-moderate lighting
SW community reef

I guess fintration, heating, etc... depends on the tank we end up with, so I guess that's all I can do with that for now.

I tried to make a list of possible corals and other inverts and I didn't even know where to start, I need to do some more research there, anyone have any good links for researching corals and inverts?

Catalina Goby- more of a cooler water fish, dont do well longterm in temperatures mid 70's and above
Would it be possible to do a cooler tank? what other fish would mesh well? (I really liked these :) )
Yellowhead Jawfish- neat fish
Gramma Basslet- nice fish, can beat on smaller fish
Chalk Bass- nice fish

Blue Green Reef Chromis- cool in schools in larger tanks, in small tanks they dont look as good im my opinion
Do they prefer schools? I was thinking of keeping maybe 1, but it's not something I HAVE to have.
Blue Chromis- same as above
True Perc. Clown- not a bad fish, hardy

Curious Wormfish
Any info on these guys? they crack me up
Green Mandarin- hard to keep alive in small tanks due to live food requirements
These guys are hubby and my favorite SW fish, I'd really like to attempt to keep one, how hard are they to keep fed? We can wait untill the tank is well established if we have to.
Spotted Mandarin- same
Zebra Lionfish- will eat smaller fish and mobile inverts

Yeah I figured, I thought maybe a tank centered around one of these, but I don't think it's really what we're looking for, I like the little fish action.
Dragonface Pipefish- not the hardiest fish
Neon Pseudochromis- nice, can be pushy with fish its size or smaller
Purple Pseudochromis- same
Red Head Solon Fairy- very nice fish, want one myself

Yeah I liked these guys, like a little cichlid :)
Red Velvet Wrasse- nice
Exquisite Wrasse- nice

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
The way we're planning on working our first tank is to get it stable and stocked with fish before adding any corals or upgrading the lighting. The tank really needs to be mature before adding corals for the best success, from what I understand.

I go over to reefcentral.com and read through all the newbie forum to learn and test my knowledge on stuff. I find it helps. I also bought the "recommended reading list" of New Marine Aquarium by Paletta and Concientious Marine Aquarist by Bob Fenner. I found reading through really helped, and they both have a lot of really good practical advice on the actual setup. I figure I've probably saved a lot of money by reading them and making good decisions (I hope).

We were originally planning on making our 55g tank into saltwater, but we got a great deal on a used 110g (or 125g, not sure) reef-ready tank. It has cost us more in rock and will cost more in lighting, but I'm happy we did it. If you can, go for a wider tank. I agree about a 40 breeder being a great size. I'm also glad we went for a tank with a built-in overflow. The disaster threads I've read about drilling, HOB overflows, etc. make me feel better about that. A sump/refugium really helps to make the system more stable and healthier. If you plan on a mandarin, you'll need a refugium to provide pods. You could do a HOB refugium, but I like the sump-style one better, I think.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
i have both the 29g and the 55g and i like the 55 gallon way better i actually took apart my 29 gallon and put everything in the 55....IMO to have a decent amount of lr in there it was alomst stcked to the top wich i want crazy about wall to wall rock...as for mandrin id wait like 6 months to a year and not even consider one in a 29 ;)
btw my 29 gallon is now empty sitting in the dinning room

Last edited: