SafeStart and Tank Stocking

Mar 1, 2011
Used SafeStart to start my upgrade tank (55 gallon) and followed directions exactly on Saturday. Everything is going well and the tank has been running with 4 Mollies since Sunday, and 2 Dwarf Gourami's were added yesterday. All are eating and swimming as normal.

Question #1: Should I be aware of any future problems? We have been testing daily and all readings are well within normal range with nitrate and ammonia at 0.

Question #2: Should I add more stock or wait 2 weeks or longer? I have been getting conflicting answers.

Oct 29, 2010
1. So far, you're doing well! As long as you continue to test for ammonia, problems can't sneak up on you. You'll want to keep testing regularly - sometimes spikes can happen around 1.5 to two weeks. When that happens, make a big water change.

2. You certainly can add more fish, but it is safer to wait until your cycle is more established. You'll know that it is when you have zero ammonia and nitrites, but measurable (10 to 20) nitrAtes.

Good luck with your tank!

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
I'd wait before adding more fish - give the cycle time to adjust to the bioload. Also, if you do have any problems, there are less fish to worry about saving. And Sunday is, let's see, three days ago? You don't have to wait two weeks, but give it a few more days.
Did you upgrade from a smaller tank? Did you transfer any filter media or substrate from the other tank?
Cheers,
Laura

Mar 1, 2011
I'd wait before adding more fish - give the cycle time to adjust to the bioload. Also, if you do have any problems, there are less fish to worry about saving. And Sunday is, let's see, three days ago? You don't have to wait two weeks, but give it a few more days.
Did you upgrade from a smaller tank? Did you transfer any filter media or substrate from the other tank?
Cheers,
Laura
Thank you for your help. We did upgrade from a 10 gl. We transferred some old rock, decorations and old filter for 24 hours before we used the SafeStart. I think we did good.

Also, 6 fish in a 55 gl tank should be enough to cycle yes, no, maybe? Trying to stay with beginner rules.

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
Good call on transferring stuff from the 10g. Mollies and gouramis are good-sized fish - they will be enough to 'feed' the bacteria you already have. In another few days, go ahead and add more fish if everything's looking good. What else are you thinking for your stocking? Also, are both those dwarf gouramis males? If so, you may have problems with aggression between the two in time, even in a 55g. Just something to keep a look out for - be prepared to rehome one if needed.

Mar 1, 2011
Good call on transferring stuff from the 10g. Mollies and gouramis are good-sized fish - they will be enough to 'feed' the bacteria you already have. In another few days, go ahead and add more fish if everything's looking good. What else are you thinking for your stocking? Also, are both those dwarf gouramis males? If so, you may have problems with aggression between the two in time, even in a 55g. Just something to keep a look out for - be prepared to rehome one if needed.
Actually what to stock with them was going to be my next question. I was thinking about skirted tetras (5) and maybe some platys. I did put in my 4 ghost shrimp that were in my previous tank. I am not sure what else to add. I am going slow and trying to figure out what would make all of us (fish included) happy. I am not sure if I need to add more mollies. I currently have 1M and 3F and hoping that is alright.

My Gouramis I believe are both male. One is extremely shy and the other is hanging out with the mollies. I am keeping an eye on them and thank you for the heads up.

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
Tetras are good to add. Neons are pretty and nice. They like groups of 5+ and get along with every other type of fish (except, of course, the ones that can eat them. lol!!). If I had a tank that size, I would add some Zebra Danios or GloFish (still Zebra Danios but they are flourescent). You have to watch out for fin nippers, and make sure that before you buy ANY fish that you look up their habitat, pH, and temperature suitability.

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
Thank you for your help. We did upgrade from a 10 gl. We transferred some old rock, decorations and old filter for 24 hours before we used the SafeStart. I think we did good.

Also, 6 fish in a 55 gl tank should be enough to cycle yes, no, maybe? Trying to stay with beginner rules.
So 6 fish will get the cycle going, what you need to avoid is a rush to the system. So when you add more think 3 not 30, then add 3 more. What I would suggest is to make a project out of it, after the 2 week mark go get 1 new kind of fish that Saturday (or whatever day you like) then wait a week then go get another new kind of fish on the same day the next week. (1 kind not 1 fish) this will give the bacteria time to catch up with the heavier bio load and ease the stress of starting a new tank.

Mollies like salt in the water (you don't have to but it helps) so this limits what you can stock if you add salt. Scaleless fish like loaches and plecos don't much care for salt, I don't keep shrimp but i believe they don't much care for salt (any help on this one guys, to lazy to google)

If you go neon remember that anything that is even sorta aggressive will start to eat them.... I would do a large group of them like 10+ in that size tank. Go get your plattys at the two week mark then look at some fish then do some research and make a plan for the next week. Continue to look but not buy at every fish in the store, then add 1 type a week. :)

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2011
SafeStart More ???s

Today I checked all my readings.

Nitrate, Nitrite and Ammonia all = 0
PH and Alk normal

Should I see a spike in any readings since I used SafeStart or is this normal?

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
no it's not cycling if your readings are 0.

When they cycle begins you will see Ammonia go up, then down, you will then see Nitrite rise as Ammonia decreases, then you will see Nitrate rise.

When Nitrates are around 20ppm and ammonia and nitrite are 0 your cycle is complete.

Mar 1, 2011
no it's not cycling if your readings are 0.

When they cycle begins you will see Ammonia go up, then down, you will then see Nitrite rise as Ammonia decreases, then you will see Nitrate rise.

When Nitrates are around 20ppm and ammonia and nitrite are 0 your cycle is complete.
Please keep in mind that I am new so I am only restating what my understanding is and it may be completely wrong. My understanding is that with SafeStart you cycle within the first 2 hours of putting it in your tank, but what do I know. I was told to use it from an actual professional, not a Petsmart or Petco employee. Who then explained that everything would be ready to go within 2 hours, but you still had to gradually add fish, but could do it faster. To me it seems too good to be true, but again I am new and relying on expert's knowledge and not my understanding.

So my question is that will my tank still need to go through what I think is "normal fishy cycling" or is it different now.

I am so confused and don't want to injure or kill my fish. I have grown quite attached to them and only want to do the right thing.

Thank you for your advice.

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
Stages of cycle

1. Ammonia usually begins rising by the third day after introducing fish.

2. During this stage Nitrosomonas bacteria oxidize the ammonia, thus eliminating it. However, the by-product of ammonia oxidation is nitrite, which is also highly toxic to fish. Nitrites levels as low as low as 1 mg/l can be lethal to some fish. Nitrite usually begins rising by the end of the first week after introducing fish.

3. In the last stage of the cycle, Nitrobacter bacteria convert the nitrites into nitrates. Nitrates are not highly toxic to fish in low to moderate levels. Routine partial water changes will keep the nitrate levels within the safe range. Established tanks should be tested for nitrates every few months to ensure that levels are not becoming extremely high.

So yes there are NitRATES in an established tank, Nitrites are present in stage two only

In nature nitrates remain very low, generally well below 5 ppm. In freshwater aquariums nitrates should be kept below 50 pm at all times, preferably below 25 ppm. If you are breeding fish, or are battling algae growth, keep nitrates below 10 ppm.

Q: Will adding bacteria solutions, such as those available at pet shops, eliminate the break-in cycle?
A: No, due to lack of an ongoing supply of ammonia and oxygen, the nitrification bacteria cannot survive in a bottle for a prolonged period of time. There are manufacturers making special preparations of the nitrogen fixing bacteria. However, what you see on the shelf at the store is simply the bacteria needed for the first stage of the cycle, not nitritfying bacteria. Since the bacteria needed for the first stage of the cycle is already present in the tank once it is set up, there is no need to purchase more of what you already have.

Clear as mud? Who is the fish keeping professional you speak of? Like what is his actual job?

Bottle bacteria can help get the process started, although I know of noone who was able to completely skip the cycle by using it. I know plenty of folks who have tried.

So your tank will cycle when you start registering Nitrates with 0 Ammonia and 0 Nitrite then you can buy more fish.

Mar 1, 2011
Stages of cycle

1. Ammonia usually begins rising by the third day after introducing fish.

2. During this stage Nitrosomonas bacteria oxidize the ammonia, thus eliminating it. However, the by-product of ammonia oxidation is nitrite, which is also highly toxic to fish. Nitrites levels as low as low as 1 mg/l can be lethal to some fish. Nitrite usually begins rising by the end of the first week after introducing fish.

3. In the last stage of the cycle, Nitrobacter bacteria convert the nitrites into nitrates. Nitrates are not highly toxic to fish in low to moderate levels. Routine partial water changes will keep the nitrate levels within the safe range. Established tanks should be tested for nitrates every few months to ensure that levels are not becoming extremely high.

So yes there are NitRATES in an established tank, Nitrites are present in stage two only

In nature nitrates remain very low, generally well below 5 ppm. In freshwater aquariums nitrates should be kept below 50 pm at all times, preferably below 25 ppm. If you are breeding fish, or are battling algae growth, keep nitrates below 10 ppm.

Q: Will adding bacteria solutions, such as those available at pet shops, eliminate the break-in cycle?
A: No, due to lack of an ongoing supply of ammonia and oxygen, the nitrification bacteria cannot survive in a bottle for a prolonged period of time. There are manufacturers making special preparations of the nitrogen fixing bacteria. However, what you see on the shelf at the store is simply the bacteria needed for the first stage of the cycle, not nitritfying bacteria. Since the bacteria needed for the first stage of the cycle is already present in the tank once it is set up, there is no need to purchase more of what you already have.

Clear as mud? Who is the fish keeping professional you speak of? Like what is his actual job?

Bottle bacteria can help get the process started, although I know of noone who was able to completely skip the cycle by using it. I know plenty of folks who have tried.

So your tank will cycle when you start registering Nitrates with 0 Ammonia and 0 Nitrite then you can buy more fish.
The fish expert that I speak of owns a store that sells maintains and sets up aquarium for business, corporations, private homes, etc. not a PetSmart or Petco employee. He also maintains an enormous shark tank in his store. I would hope he knows what he is talking about. But again, who knows? Credentials are good.....Apparently I am not completely confident in him, since I am on here trying to verify his info, if you understand where I am coming from.....
By the way thanks again. I do understand what you are saying and really appreciate you taking the time to help.

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
Yeah, the bacteria in a bottle is a rip off IMHO, I wouldn't suggest it to anyone.

Just wait it out your nitrates will get into the 20's and then you know you are set, as ammonia goes up change the water daily till it gets back to 0. On a 55g that change is going to be pretty heavy 50% daily

I like to take my siphon and put the end (the little end) part into a garden hose (jam it down in there 2-3" then tie a dish towel around that part to catch any drips) that runs outside or to the tub when i have to do a big change like that. Saves some time with the bucket

Have fun, the next two weeks are going to be a pain but once it's done it's done. :)

Just don't rush out and buy a bunch of fish, the stock you have now will take a while to build up the ammonia but it won't get as high (see the thread called newbie she has ammonia of 8+ yours wont' get that bad if you can resist the temptation to run out and buy a boat load of fish)

Mollies have a heavy bio load and are sorta dirty so that will actually keep things moving along :)