Salinity

Newhobby

Small Fish
May 19, 2003
Visit site
Hello I have had my 29 gal with crush coral for substrate, and emperor 280 filter. This tank was setup on May 22, 2003 I add 9 cup of salt to the tank on that day. My salinity then was 1.010 after 5 days I have add a additional 1 1/2 cups of salt which brought my salinity up to 1.018. From what I have read is that my salinity should be between 1.021 - 1.023 if this is correct. Should I contine to add a 1/2 cup of salt every 48 hours to bring it up to where it should be?

toodles

Large Fish
Jan 6, 2003
USA
Visit site
IF you have any living creatures in the tank (fish, crabs, shrimp, corals) then NO....never, ever mix salt IN the tank. Use a new clean bucket that you only use for fish and mix your saltwater up in there!!!! And yes, you would have to raise the salinity slowly.

IF you have no living creatures in the tank, then you can just add the salt to the water without any problems and without any waiting period.

The salinity level depends on whether you keep inverts or not. If this is to be a fish only tank then levels of 1.020 to 1.023 are fine. If you want to keep inverts then you need to keep it closer to the 1.025 range.

HTH:)

Newhobby

Small Fish
May 19, 2003
Visit site
Ok I have 2 demsel and 1 Chormis in my tank. So should I take out 5 gal out of the tank and then mix some water/salt togather and add it to the tank. How much salt should I add to 5 gal?

NTidd

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kalamazoo, MI
Yes it's generally not a good idea to mix salt into the tank, unless it's empty, but it's still easier to mix the water before you add it, it's more accurate that way too. I keep my saltwater at about 1.0245. I've got some inverts and such. Just curious, what kind of damsels / chomis' do you have. I've got a couple 2 stripe damsels that are very active.

Newhobby

Small Fish
May 19, 2003
Visit site
Well I had 2 damsel but one died last night. Both where domino damsel and 1 green chromois. I was wondering if anyone that has a chromois. Does it every hang vertical from the top of the tank like it is taken in air.

sinasster

Large Fish
Nov 21, 2002
North Las Vegas, Nevada
Visit site
You added saltwater fish before you had "proper" salt water in your tank? It sounds like a bumpy road ahead.

You should not have any fish in your tank right now, At least for the first week.. after your tank is set up properly. And if your LFS sells sea water buy the gallon, I suggest you buy that instead, It will save you a ton of headach in the longrun.

NTidd

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kalamazoo, MI
I mix my own saltwater and don't have any salinity changes, I never add water to my aquarium until it has the proper salinity. You must remember that any change in salinity can stress out or ever kill even a damsel, never mix the salt into the aquarium, and never put fish into it unless the salinity is proper prior to the addition.

Newhobby

Small Fish
May 19, 2003
Visit site
Well my salinity is on the rise and I haven't added any more water. It is now at 1.019 my LFS told me to get it up to 1.018 is that right or should I bring it up to about 1.023? Also if I need to bring it up should I take out 5 gal and then replace it with pre-mix saltwater. I will use water bought from my LFS and add the proper amount of salt.

Newhobby

Small Fish
May 19, 2003
Visit site
Well I had a pair but now there is just one and he is only 3/4" and he like to mess with the chormis. Could you tell my chromis is hanging around the heater at the surface. Is there a reason for that. Also how well do clowns get along with damsels. I was thinking about add a pair of those in the future.

NTidd

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kalamazoo, MI
Well the chromis may be hanging out there because that is where the domino will allow him to be, have you noticed that when he comes out, he's chased back? What type of clownfish?