Salinity

toodles

Large Fish
Jan 6, 2003
USA
Visit site
Your salinity is on the rise without you adding any water because of evaporation. When any water evaporates, only pure water is removed. All other substances stay in the water remaining, in other words, your salt stays in the tank, hence the rise in salinity. Plain (dechlorinated tap water or RO water) must be added to keep the salinity levels stable. How much depends on many different factors. For example, I have central air conditioning which really sucks out the water on my 55g....I have to replace approx. 1 gallon every other day. What alot of people do is to either pick out a reference point (like a certain point on an intake tube) or they put an actual mark on the outside of the tank using marker or even tape. When the water level falls below this mark, then you know you need to add freshwater to your tank.

In a 29g tank there is no way you will be able to add an ocellaris clown to a tank already containing a domino. And the tank is too small to add a larger fish either.....the only fish that would probably be alright would be one of the dottybacks. If you really want a clownfish, then you will have to take the domino back to the store. BTW, the ocellaris will be fine in a 29g....they are a small fish that stays small.....

Newhobby

Small Fish
May 19, 2003
Visit site
(Toodles) Ok your are say that I don't need to add any saltmix water to my tank because my salinity is on the rise. Now as far as your comment on the clownfish. I have had them in my tank for 3 day now. They are 1 1/2" in size and my domino is only 3/4" long and they seem to be getting along fine. Every once in awhile I see one of the clowns chasing him around but not often.

toodles

Large Fish
Jan 6, 2003
USA
Visit site
Wait until the domino gets bigger.....:( right now things are fine because the domino is smaller and outnumbered.....

What I'm saying about your salinity is that it will continue to rise if you don't add top off water every so often. Daily, weekly, I don't know, it depends on your system and how much evaporation you have. BUT when you do water changes, you must make them with saltwater that is mixed in the bucket first and is the same salinity (or lower if need be) than what is in the tank.

Good luck!!