salt?

i went to my lfs yesterday to get more food.but i as usuall looked at the fish.in half of the tanks they had little cups of salt in there.they where freshwater tanks.they mainly had the cups with salt in the pleco tanks.why did they have cups of salt in the tanks?was it even salt?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I've seen those before, I dont know if its salt or not...maybe one of the folks who works at a store with those can help out. Why didn't you ask at the store? :)

jefftaylor

Large Fish
Mar 6, 2006
Ontario, Canada
I have also seen the salt in the water. The reason i know it is salt is because i asked the pet store, this is the only store i have seen this in. I saw this at super pet which i will never go back again to that ****ty store. 4 months and counting

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
I read somewhere that a little bit of salt raises a fish's disease resistance. It also kills certain freshwater bacteria and parasites. Its not table salt that you eat but aquarium salt thats used.

Not sure how effective salt treatment is but it sorta makes sense...

Toam

Large Fish
Jul 27, 2005
Grove, Oklahoma
I've used salt only when treating for ich, and I can't truly say if it helped or not, but personally I think there was a bit of a difference. It is supposed to help fight some disease, and to assist with breathing when they are stressed, etc. I really wish I knew if it was all propoganda or not, does anyone TRULY know the benefits if any of salt? the man at my lfs says he keeps it in his tank all the time, but I just couldn't do that, after my ich treatments i do like a 60% water change and than a 50% a few days after just to help remove it all from my system.

Apr 9, 2006
Illinois
www.myspace.com
I've seen those cups with TONS of salt in them at places like wal-mart... the fish in there didn't look so good, so they may have been treating something. I hope they don't keep that much salt in there for very long.

I always add a pinch of salt to the new treated water that I put into my tanks. I really think it wards off some common diseases... all the fish seem happy, brightly colored, and healthy!

jwddboy

Small Fish
Apr 9, 2006
Salts (particular aquarium salts) are a good way of preventing and curing fish disease. They may just be telling you half of the story over the phone. The reason there is so much is normally because often the fish are in there for such a short time that they need a higher level. A bit like a dip.

Id be careful of getting those fish... its likley they are trying to rid them of disease. You dont want to introduce that disease into your tank.

lou48314

Medium Fish
Mar 13, 2006
Sterling Heights, MI
I have kept salt in my freshwater tanks all along.
I read a book back about ten years ago that suggested the salt because it it normally found in trace amounts in all natural water sources. It made sense to me then and I am doing with my new tanks too.
My discus breeder has said that he uses twice what is recommended. No idea why but his fish look AWESOME.
I also read that the way salt acts on freshwater fish is different than saltwater fish. I do not remember entirely but it is something about the way the fishes metabolism is opposite of each other. I will have to dig out my old marine beginners manual! :)

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I'm a "no salt" person. I never add it regularly, and never will. IMO, there is no reason to use it in a freshwater tank, except for disease treatment. It puts added strain on fishes' kidneys, due to the difference in osmotic pressure.

The reason it works on ich is because it's at a high enough concentration to kill the ich, but not high enough to kill the fish (which have a more advanced system to deal with changes in osmotic pressure).

lou48314

Medium Fish
Mar 13, 2006
Sterling Heights, MI
I am using it on my discus tank and it is not at a very high level. If I were to use my hydrometer from my saltwater it would not even register on it.
I have always used it and there have never been any ill effects. I have not had sick fish since I can remember. I am not sure if it is because of the salt or not. No loss of life due to disease on my part in nearly 20 years.
I guess I am just becoming a rebel in my mid-life. I also have started doing straight-tap water changes! :) As a matter of fact I have the hose in the discus tank right now.