salt?

lou48314

Medium Fish
Mar 13, 2006
Sterling Heights, MI
Lotus said:
I'm a "no salt" person. I never add it regularly, and never will. IMO, there is no reason to use it in a freshwater tank, except for disease treatment. It puts added strain on fishes' kidneys, due to the difference in osmotic pressure.

The reason it works on ich is because it's at a high enough concentration to kill the ich, but not high enough to kill the fish (which have a more advanced system to deal with changes in osmotic pressure).
Osmosis! That is what I was looking for earlier.
Thanks, Lotus. :)

lou48314

Medium Fish
Mar 13, 2006
Sterling Heights, MI
I have dealt with one LFS since it first opened WAY back in Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Eight. ;)
They use the salt as a preventative. They are also one of the few here that will guarantee their fish for anything longer than 24-48 hours. Unless you hit up a Wal-Mart or something like that.
They are actually the ones that got me to using it in my tanks.

EDIT! They = LFS

Last edited:
i dont know?

bala_aquarium said:
i went to my lfs yesterday to get more food.but i as usuall looked at the fish.in half of the tanks they had little cups of salt in there.they where freshwater tanks.they mainly had the cups with salt in the pleco tanks.why did they have cups of salt in the tanks?was it even salt?
you know ryan i realy dont know
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: