Saltwater Poll: Tell us about yourself...

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
1. What or who got you into saltwater, and were you intimidated at first because marine systems are said to be costly and difficult?No person in particular. I wasn't especially intimidated once I'd some reading.

2. How long have you been keeping saltwater aquariums, and what was the hobby like when you started, if you began a long time ago?I actually tried salt in the 80's, and it was a different world then, and not easy/fun/successful. It was all about UGF's, and breaking down the system every 4 - 6 months. Why people try to redo this nowadays is a mystery to me, and why so many US lfs's encourage them.

3. Do you still keep freshwater tanks, and how do you now feel about freshwater? No, but there are fish I would like to keep. Freshwater si very interesting as you can breed a greater variety of fish and raise the fry. At a certain level salt keeping is still very naive - most people are still struggling to keep things alive, let alone move onto more advanced topics like difficult fish, biotopes, breeding

4. What was the most difficult invert or fish you've kept, and was it worth the cost and time that went into it? I don't think I have anything especially hard. I've kept other fish like bicolor angels, anthias and butterflies that people seem to think tricky, but they just need care and tlc.

5. What is your favorite thing about saltwater? Marine angels and butterflies

6. Any future plans/dreams for new systems? Building a bigger tank.

As a note I am somewhat surprised by how many tanks people seem to have - I have a single display, and a 'work tank' in the basement.