SALTY WATERS 15g thread...finally!!!

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
Hi everyone,

I finally got a chance to get some good shots of the new set-up. I was planing on posting last sunday, but a broken cheek bone and 8 hrs in the emergancy clinic kind of screwed that plan up! Anyway, here is the info again on my set-up and a few pics as well hope you all enjoy!

SALTY WATERS 15G Nano Reef Tank

Lighting:

 Coralife 24” Aqualight Power Compact Strip Light w/2 x 65Watt Lamps
o 1 - 65 watt actinic on timer 8:00am - 7:00pm
o 1 - 65 watt 10,000k on timer 10:00am - 5:00pm
 Coralife Aqualight ¾ Watt Lunar Blue Moon-Glow Led Light (x2)
o Both on timer 7:00pm - 12:00am

Temperature Control:

 Jager Heater - 50 Watt (x2)
o Set at 76.5F
 Coralife Battery Operated Digital Thermometer
 Penn Plax Therma-Temp Floating Thermometer w/Suction Cup

Water Flow:

 Zoo Med Power Sweep 212 Powerhead (x2)
o Flow rate 125gph x 2 = 250gph
 Red Sea Prizm Deluxe Hang-On Skimmer

Live Rock:

 15-20 lbs Tonga Branch & Fiji

Substrate:

 30lbs Carib Sea Crushed Coral

Corals:

 Green Flower Pot (Goniopora sp.)
 Candy Cane (Caulastrea furcata)
 Devil’s Hand Leather (Lobophytum sp.)
 Metallic Green Star Polyps (Briareum asbestinum)
 Elegant Moon Polyps (Zoanthus sp.)
 Brown Button Polyps (Palythoa sp.)
 Ricordea Mushrooms (Ricordea florida)
 Assorted Mushrooms (Actinodiscus sp.)
o Green Striped
o Green
o Blue
o Spotted

Invertebrates:

 Pink & Green Sea Cucumber (Cucumaria sp.)
 2 Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis)
 Banded Brittle Sea Star (Ophiocoma scolopendrina)
 Pincushion Urchin (Mespilia globulus)
 Porcelain Crab (Petrolisthes sp.)
 Emerald Mithrax Crab (Mithrax sculptus)
 15-20 Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crabs (Clibanarius tricolor)
 2 Lettered Olive Snails (Oliva sayana)
 Rock Flower Anemone (Epicystis crucifer)
 Red Sea Squirt (Polycarpa aurata)

Fish:

 Scooter Blenny (Synchiropus ocellatus)
o Male

Last edited:

ram man

Superstar Fish
Apr 16, 2005
Arizona
i still cant get enough of that scooter blennie. im pretty sure that both of those button polyp colonies are palythoa, maybe protopalythoa. if you feed them mysid shrimp they should close around it and grow alot faster.

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
I tried to take pictures showing the different light fases of the tank, 10,000k, Actinic and then the moonlights; those are the first 3 pics.

I forgot to mention that I ended up putting the skimmer back on, as I found it was to heavy a load on the system without it and I started to see algea blooming. Now that it is back on all is well.

Limi310

Superstar Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Beautiful!!!

Wow you take great pictures, your tank looks amazing!

Here's a silly question: Does the Devils Hand Leather flop over when the light is out? Only because you can clearly see it back there in pic 1, but in pic 2 I can't see it. I know it has zooxanthellae, so just wondering.

I like the look of it and might consider that when I am ready for corals.

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
Limi310 said:
Wow you take great pictures, your tank looks amazing!

Here's a silly question: Does the Devils Hand Leather flop over when the light is out? Only because you can clearly see it back there in pic 1, but in pic 2 I can't see it. I know it has zooxanthellae, so just wondering.

I like the look of it and might consider that when I am ready for corals.
Thanks!

You are quite observant...Yes, the Leather shrinks at night to about 1/3 of the size it is during the daylight.

It has been a very easy coral for me to keep; I've had it since I first started saltwater over 3yrs ago and it has been through 3 tank moves and a few landscapes and it is still doing extreamly well.

seastaar88

Superstar Fish
Feb 1, 2004
middletown, CT
salty, youre tank is so nice looking!! i especailly like the pics of the insane power strips... no that doesn't look like a fire hazard or anything hehehee. are you planning to paint the back of the tank? love the mushrooms, looking forward to seeing how much they spread :)

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
I got drip loops setup on all the wires and it's all off the floor, so I'm not worried.

I am thinking about putting some kind of back ground behind like a plain blue or black, not sure yet as I like to be able to see in from the back of the tank to chek on things as well; need to think about it some more.

Ya the mushroom have already spread quite a bit

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
Well, I have just notice I have some hitch hikers on the small pieces of LR I bought just before I went to PERU. They didn't show their faces before I left and now that they have had over 1 1/2 months to make them selves comfortable, they have decided to show them selves...Aiptasia!!!

I am contemplating if I am going to leave them in there or "Joe's Juice" them...I picked up the Joe's Juice already just in case I decide to do so, but I kinda like the looks of them.

Just for conversation what is everyone thought on this issue and why?