Sand=Pain in the...

Apr 24, 2006
Nashville, Illinois
I'm setting up my 55 gallon tank right now and I'm using sand as my substrate. I've been rinsing sand in a little jug in my sink and with such a large tank, it's really annoying. Is there any reason that I have to remove the "stuff" that you're supposed to rinse out? Does it cause health problems in fish or does it just cloud up the water? I know, this probably sounds like a stupid question, but I'm tired of running back and forth rinsing sand.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
just in case you needed to hear it again, you REALLY need to rinse that stuff good before putting it in the tank. One 95% change won't cut it. If you have a pillowcase lying around thats the fastest way to rinse it that I found...rinse till the water coming out is immensely clearer than when you first start. The pillowcase won't definitely be ruined, but just in case you might want to use an old one ;)

The cloudyness won't clear hardly at all if the cloudy is from sand. It'll get sucked into your filter and wreak havoc...so the best way I found is to rinse as well as you think you need to (plus some) and then put into the tank and put a few inches of water in and swish it around. Much easier to do if you ahve a python...but then you want to wait about 10 seconds and suck anything out that is still floating...and repeat until you're fairly content with the level of cloudy. You should really just be left with all of the sand that will settle to the bottom in a matter of a few seconds or you'll continue to have issues.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
na...by the time you have rinsed the sand through enough times there isn't much of anything resembling soap on the pillowcase. Its kind of like saying "oh well I washed my hands with soap earlier won't there still be some remnants of soap on them?" yes...but I've never had an issue with it and haven't vowed never to wash my hands with soap or use lotion again eh? :)

more water just means more to take out...you can mix the sand up REALLY well...stick your hands in there and just agitate the heck out of it, wait 10 seconds and then start siphoning. Then fill and dump as many times as it takes. First time I did it I thought "oh I rinsed it enough" then put it in the tank and it was muddy cloudy, so I said "oh it'll settle" left it overnight and still just as muddy so I took all the water out and put new in...same thing overnight...lol I was mad. Luckily it was just a 5g. Then after that I did a 29 and that was better and by the time I did the 3rd tank I realized how much I had to rinse it first and that one was easiest :D

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
If you don't have a Python and a window or outside door is relatively handy (within 10 - 15 feet of the tank), run down to Lowes with your gravel vac and get some clear plastic tubing to replace the tube it comes with. You can find suitable tubing in the Rough Plumbing section. Then you can fill and drain at will. I use a water safe hose (like you get for RVs) with a Python faucet fitting to fill some of my tanks.

Rinse, rinse, rinse until the sand settles quickly. I was lucky to learn from other people's mistake and my foray into fine substrates has gone well. I used several 5 gallon buckets and filled, swirled and rinsed myself crazy.

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
Actually, you hook the python up to your faucet. It's like filling and draining a waterbed. When you set it to syphon it puts the water down the drain. You need to know how far it is to the nearest faucet, not to the nearest window.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
LOL, that suggestion was a cheap way to drain a tank quickly without buying a Python. Pythons hook up to a sink and drain that way. If you had a nearby window, you could save yourself some money and a lot of hassle by buying about $3 worth of tubing and shooting the water out a door or window instead of lugging buckets.

If you're going to buy a Python, measure how far it is from the nearest faucet before you buy. Pythons come in a couple sizes and you can also buy extensions. I've actually seen the best price for Pythons to be at Walmart, so shop around a little if you have the time. With a 55, you'll be glad you made this investment! :)

Apr 24, 2006
Nashville, Illinois
I went to WalMart in Mt. Vernon and bought a python. It has 25 ft. which should be plenty to reach to the faucet in my kitchen. I'm glad it's going to be a good investment because I really want to get this tank set up so I can put my plants in it. Oh and it doesn't have to be cycled to have plants does it?