SeaClone 100

rohnds

Large Fish
Apr 23, 2005
Austin, TX (born NYC)
I have SeaClone 100 protein skimmer. I had this setup in my 55 gal tank for more than year and yet I never collected anything on the collection cup.

I cleaned it and now I have it setup in the sump of my new 70gal tank.

First, was my skimmer working in the first place? Since I have had nothing collect in the cup.

I have adjusted to air valve so that I see a stream of bubble go up the skimmer. And I also get a steady water stream from the skimmer's lip back to the sump. Is this the proper operating procedue for this skimmer? Am I doing something wrong?

Rohn

rohnds

Large Fish
Apr 23, 2005
Austin, TX (born NYC)
After numerous research I came to this conlusion:

In my first tank, I had a almsot bare bioload, consisting of five fishes and about 3 or 4 corals. In 55 gallon tank, there wasn't much an organic waste for the skimmer to work with espceially weekly 10gal water changes.

Now in my new tank, there is again no bioload except for the LRs (whihc produce no waste at all).

Next, I learned that the air intake must not be more than 2 inches below the surface the water.

Second it would be better to replce the sponge with airstone for more effeciency.

Rohn

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I can assure you any tank with live rock in it has plenty organics to get skimming successfully. But your skimmer is rubbish.

Don't kid yourself your skimmer isn't working because it's too clean.If you were to put a decent skimmer on your tank you would be amazed at how much skimmed out within 2 or 3 days.

Google seaclone for yourself, or go to reefcentral.com, and see what you can dig out there... no one has anything good to say about these things...

This is a pretty objective skimmer review ...http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/cav1i1/protein_skimmer_impressions.htm

rohnds

Large Fish
Apr 23, 2005
Austin, TX (born NYC)
But the problem I have is that many others in various forums and websites indicate that their Seaclone work just fine. Assuming that all of the seaclone are identically built, mine must work if tweaked properly.

Rohn

Jan 24, 2006
I have a sea clone 100 and it works real nice. the only thing i can think of is u need to adjust the air valve. spin it all the way counter clock wise and if u see a lot of bubbles in the chamber and not in the water give it a few days and c if ne thing collects in it. if u start to see a lot of bubbles n the water just keep adjusting that little valve until u see bubbles inside the seaclone and not n the water.

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
The water level in the tank/sump, depending on your setup, must always be the same to get some skimmate. The seaclone can work, but it's ridiculous compared to other skimmer. I got 10 times more skim in one day with a coralife 220 needle wheel than the seaclone in 1 month, and i played with the air valve. Anyways the valve is a major concern, and you can't go on vacation and hope than everything will go just fine. There's a seaclone mod on reefcentral.com .. the seaclone can be fine on a small tank for a couple of days without adjustments, but personally i tested on a 55g without a heavy bioload and it just can't handle it. Sad but true. Bad design. I was lucky to get 60 bucks when i sold this toy.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
'But the problem I have is that many others in various forums and websites indicate that their Seaclone work just fine' - where?

This is a really, really poor skimmer.

Jan 24, 2006
mine works just fine when i get up in the morning theirs a full cup and when i get off work their is a full cup so i see no problem with it. in my opinion its cheap and works. since ive been using it i havent had ne problems my fish are doing just fine. if u already got it use, it or you can just spend your money on something else it up to you. if you still have no bubbles just keep messing with the air valve you will figure it out. it will do just fine for your 55g just dont overstock it.