Should I do a water change now?

clementsx

Small Fish
Jan 21, 2009
The filter is untouched since I started it new on Feb 8th. ( I thought I am supposed to leave it alone while cycling??)

assuming below is what you mean by tank maintenance

DATE.......NO3....... NO2........NH3
11-Mar..... 10........ 1 ........... 0
12-Mar..... 10........ 1 ............0
13-Mar..... 10........ 1 ........... 0......water change 25% no gravel cleaning
14-Mar..... 10........ 1 ........... 0
15-Mar..... 10........ 0.5 - 1.... 0......water change 20% no gravel cleaning
16-Mar..... 7.......... 0.5 - 1.... 0
17-Mar..... 10........ 0.5...... ... 0......water change 20% no gravel cleaning
18-Mar...... 0........ 0.......... .... 0
19-Mar...... 0........ 0........... ... 0

clementsx

Small Fish
Jan 21, 2009
So tonight, because I still have nothing but 0's. I decided to do a water change, I got nothing to lose at this point right?

Since I haven't done any wc's in the last 10 days, I figure I would do a partial gravel cleaning also (again, nothing to lose). While doing it, I realize there is no fish waste being picked up and it dawns on me...

Maybe I have been overcompensating (from all the reading I have done about newbs overfeeding) and not feeding them enough to make any waste? I remember when I first got the fish, whenever I fed them they would be crapping and I haven't witnessed them crap in awhile...hehe

Is this a possible reason I have no nitrate readings anymore? From under feeding?

Just hoping this may be a cause?

Where is Jacques Cousteau when you need him?

Last edited:

sombunya

Large Fish
Jul 25, 2008
So. Cal. USA
Good, nitrfying bacteria live in the filter, gravel, tank decorations etc. Water will slow down a cycle only a tiny bit, if at all, in my opinion.

When in doubt, change the water. De-chlorinating every time of course. And if you clean your filter be sure to use tank or de-chlorinated water so as not to lose any of the "good bacteria". I clean my filters every two weeks and never experience mini cycles.

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
Good advice, sombunya, but what the op was actually asking about was if he could be underfeeding.

I suppose it's possible. I don't see how it would hurt to bump up the feedings a bit and see how that affects your readings.

clementsx

Small Fish
Jan 21, 2009
I was under the impression that I should not touch the filter or do any gravel changes during the cycling....is this true? Also, I am seeing some algae build up on the driftwood and some specks on the back of the tank..I thought that would not occur until it is cycled...can someone clue me in here?