Should I euthanize my betta?

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
Ok..this is in regards to my sick betta who has the dreaded Dropsey symptom/disease..

I think I probably caught it too late cause its scales are raised and hes very bloated.

I've spent the last 5 days administering Kanamycin antibiotic and Epsom salt in the tank. Also been feeding him antibiotic foods and changing the water every 3 days.

I've noticed no change in his condition. He is still eating though.

My questions is...should I keep continuing this treatment or should I euthanize him? Is there a chance that he will recover?

thanks

I agree. Don't do it until he stops eating and swimming around.

My poor little betta (going on almost 4 years at this point) has been all dropsy-like for quite a while now (at least since May). I've moved him into two different tanks since then, dosed with Melafix, and still no improvement.

But he still eats and swims and bosses everyone around, so I'm just going to let him live out his days like the happy guy he is.

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
As long as a fish is eating well and acting like it's normal self, I wouldn't euthanize it. If it's obviously distressed and doesn't have any "quality of life"...then I start to think about ending it's misery. :(

Good luck with your betta.

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
Thanks for all the advice..I'll give him some more time.

He definitely has dropsey and spends most of the time lying on the gravel..on his side. His body is swollen and that cant be comfortable but he does swim up for air and food. So..I'm gonna hope that its not too late for him to recover..

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
Grymatta said:
Thanks for all the advice..I'll give him some more time.

He definitely has dropsey and spends most of the time lying on the gravel..on his side. His body is swollen and that cant be comfortable but he does swim up for air and food. So..I'm gonna hope that its not too late for him to recover..
Hmmmm. That really stinks. It sounds like he isn't feeling like himself and is on a downward spiral :(. Laying on their side doesn't sound good. I hear you on the wanting to try to rehabilitate him tho, and good luck on that. I did the same for a sick betta I had and unfortunately overdosed him with potassium permanganate! http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/disease-forum/35155-potassium-permanganate.html It sounds to me like he is suffering tho. How is he lately?

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
hey there f8fan..

my fish isnt getting any better. I fear its only a matter of days now. Hes finally stopped eating and he spends most of the time lying on the gravel bottom now. Sigh.

Mahamotorworks

Superstar Fish
Aug 26, 2006
Thule, Greenland
www.myspace.com
JWright said:
Honestly? The garbage disposal.

Scoop him into a small cup, and pour the contents of the cup into the disposal.

I know it's a bit graphic, but it's over in an instant, there's no cleanup, and the fish never leaves the water.

Mental Picture that I relly didnt need to see in the morning before work. It would work. You wouldnt have to see the fish in pain if you did something wrong.

MAHA

Sep 6, 2006
NS, Canada
I wouldn't put my fish in a garbage disposal, I'd feel too bad. I find the best way is just to put them in a ziplock bag and set them in the freezer; all they'll do is go to sleep and not wake up again :( Then you can throw it away normally.

Sorry to hear about your betta :(

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
And having fin after fin then nose and then eye lopped off by a garbage disposal blade is more humane?! That is disgusting, there isn't even a guarantee that a garbage disposal blade would even hit the fish and it might just lie there and suffocate. I would never put a fish in a garbage disposal. I've never had to do it, but I've read about putting alcohol in the water,then freezing as a more humane way to euthanize. The alcohol numbs/stupifies them, then the cold puts them to sleep...

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
If you really want humane then just lop off their heads, or whack 'em in the head. Can't get any quicker than that. Never mind how you feel about doing it if your goal is to euthanize your fish quickly and painlessly as possible.
If you want some method that you feel warm and fuzzy about, better do some research and come to your own conclusions about what will work for you.

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
Good link, Kelly.
Someone here tried to use alcohol to euthanize a fish a while back and it survived after some agonizing time in the solution. The person apparently didn't research the proper method first and just did as they were told, or tried to, from what I could gather.
I come here for opinions and advice, but also do research to back up the most sensible sounding advice before acting on it. I think most of us do that.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Of course make sure you do some background research on any method you decide to go with. I agree that cutting it's head off would be the fastest method, although hard to do, at least for me. :( Just do it quickly so it isn't lying on the cutting board for a long time. Let us know how you decide to proceed. :(

JWright

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Snowy Upstate New York
www.cnytheater.com
Ever seen the inside of a garbage disposal? They're setup so anything that goes in has to hit the blades, and it can't move past the blades until it has been disintegrated. The blades are also traveling at several thousand RPM. That means the fish would be struck 30 times in the first second. That's pretty darn instant.

Decapitation means the fish spends several seconds out of the water, and freezing, clove oil, or alcohol all take a minimun of 20-30 seconds to cause unconciousness.

It's a hard descision to make in any case, but in my opinion, the most humane is the garbage disposal. Trust me, my only concern is how quickly the fish is rendered unconcious, and how to minimize stress prior to that point.

SANND

Large Fish
Jul 20, 2005
Washington, DC
Sorry about your fish :(

I have to agree with the garbage disposal method. Put the fish in a cup of water, turn the faucet on then the disposal and pour the cup out and let the disposal run for a few seconds. It sounds gross as all get out but it's the most humane way.