Should I euthanize my betta?

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
thanks everyone for your helpful suggestions. I actually dont have a garbage disposal so I was just take a big rock and crush its head.

Fortunately, the fish was dead when I got home so I was spared the guilt of euthanizing it.

thanks again for everyone's support and advice..

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
Bummer about losing the little guy. However, at least you didn't have to do anything. Euthanasia is a tough thing to do. :(
Get back on the horse, get another one! *thumbsups

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
thanks. I'm glad I didnt have to do the deed on the fish..

yeah...I did a 100% water change and added some carbon to filter out the meds.

Is there anything else I need to prep the tank for a new tenant?

I'm assuming the bio filter is still there since the tank was already cycled.

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
Hmm. Well, if indeed it was dropsy which is not contagious, I'd say everything you have done is sufficient in order to get it going again. I'm not sure what meds are used for dropsy, so as far as your biological filter, ehhh, it depends on what you used for meds. If it were me, (I dunno if it would make any difference or not) I would just put some new media in the filter. There is enough bacteria on the surfaces of your tank, ornaments, plants etc. to populate the filter's bacteria.

But that's just me. You *may* be perfectly fine just leaving your old stuff in.

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
I used kanamycin for dropsy...on the bottle's label it said that it "would not harm the biological filter". But I'm not so sure since its antibacterial and the biological filter is...bacteria. hmm.

I have an Eclipse tank so its difficult to add new media in..I still have the same cartridge in. I did add some new carbon inside the cartridge though.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
With the medication, just keep an eye on ammonia and nitrites. There are many antibacterial meds that don't affect the nitrifying bacteria, or affect it very little. It's always a good idea to keep tabs on your water parameters, just in case, especially if the fish is very weakened.

Good luck with the treatment!

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
Thanks Lotus. I forgot to test for water parameters while I was dosing...my fish didnt survive and I cleaned out the tank already. The next time I dose with meds, I'll be sure to test and keep a record of the water parameters. I'm very curious to know if the kanamycin antibiotic does not harm the filter...testing the water would prob let me know.