should I put salt in my tank?

usacutie81

Large Fish
Sep 6, 2006
St Louis
I was wondering if I should put fish salt in my 75 gallon tank. I really want to keep cardinals and the lady at Petsmart suggested that they are more likely to survive if I put salt in the tank. She said all their tanks in the store have salt in the main system. What do you think?

JWright

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Snowy Upstate New York
www.cnytheater.com
No need for salt.

There are a lot of myths about salt out there. One is that some _freshwater_ fish need salt to thrive. Another is that table salt is deadly to fish.

The only purpose for salt, in my opinion, is the treatment of ich. At the dosages involved there, table salt is just fine.

jessey

Large Fish
Dec 25, 2006
Tampa, FL
So do any freshwater fish need salt? No, right? Because I know the label for Mollies at the Petsmart near me says that Mollies like some salt in there water. Untrue?

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
No need for salt.

There are a lot of myths about salt out there. One is that some _freshwater_ fish need salt to thrive. Another is that table salt is deadly to fish.

The only purpose for salt, in my opinion, is the treatment of ich. At the dosages involved there, table salt is just fine.
Ditto.
Salt is for the most part useless. Mollys by nature spend a lot of time in brackish conditions. So the salt they need is much different then what you put in a FW tank.

Oct 18, 2006
Oceanside California
I was rooked into buying aquarium salt for my FW tank... here is what i use it for:

Ich

Only had to use it once, but i do add it every other w/c and notice that my barb and gourmai seem more colorful than without it, But in the big picture it is not needed.... but since i have it i use it just to get rid of the container without throwing it away. if it snowed in california where i am i would use this as salt to keep sidewalk free of ice.... which would be a better use of the stuff.

bsmall05

Large Fish
Nov 8, 2006
Newport News, VA
off topic but grumpy i love the pic of your dojo!!! mine is in my bf's tank and i miss her like crazy!! i think im getting his 10g soon, so im really excited about converting that to a cold water tank!

oh yeah and i agree about the salt. a guy at petsmart tried to sell me aquarium salt, but i found table salt w/o iodine and it treated my ick just fine! they just push it for the profit! i think we would be much better off in this world if some people thought about something other than profit. (my rant for the day)

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
bsmall05 said:
off topic but grumpy i love the pic of your dojo!!!
Lol...bsmall 'hijacks' the thread...yippee! ;)
(I was going to do the same thing and compliment Grumpy_Marine on his cool new avatar, but you beat me to it!). :rolleyes:

Big Vine :p

Oct 15, 2006
I put about two teaspoons of iodized table salt into my 10 gallon this afternoon.. the fish look okay..I hope they will do fine
I was just seeing if it would make any difference to that bloodfin that would not leave the cave....

platygirl

Small Fish
Jan 1, 2007
So how much salt would you put in per gal. to treat ich? I have only one fish that has ich and most certain that is what it is, but no others have it.
Thanks!

Oct 18, 2006
Oceanside California
For the aquarium salt it is one tblspoon per gallon, but for table salt and iodine free salt i am unsure of the amounts...

As for my avatar... it is not my dojo loach in the picture, it is from website, i should get my dojo on avatar, he likes to hang from plants in tank like a lazy boy reliner...lol. I have two dojo loaches in tropical community tank, don't do that cold water just for them, i am sure i would piss off a loach lover fanatic, but my two dojo seem to be the most active and happy of all my fish.