should I put salt in my tank?

Dec 30, 2006
Illinois
For the aquarium salt it is one tblspoon per gallon, but for table salt and iodine free salt i am unsure of the amounts...
Ouch no! Hopefully a typo! Freshwater aquariums 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons

I only use it to treat ich..and use some for my guppies.

JWright

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Snowy Upstate New York
www.cnytheater.com
Depending of the type of fish in the tank, a tablespoon per gallon isn't that unreasonable. I've heard reports from several fish keepers, whose opinions I respect very much, that concentrations as high as 6 tablespoons per 5 gallons are safe and effective.

Personally, I use 2-3 tablespoons per 5 gallons.

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
JWright said:
Personally, I use 2-3 tablespoons per 5 gallons.
Ditto...

Keep in mind that (apparently) salt isn't good for snails---at least not at this concentration. I managed to 'dissolve' (kill) a mystery snail using this process. Still, the ich was promptly eradicated, so I was pleased in the end...even despite the loss.

Big Vine

WetChicken

Small Fish
Jan 5, 2007
Concord, N.H.
Damn. PetSmart got me on the salt too. I will have to give the guy there that I talk to a hard time for recommending it. I will still give them my business since they get their cats and dogs from the SPCA instead of puppy/kitty farms such as the only other pet store in town, Petco.
Heh, the pet store in the mall got shut down due to cockroach infestation! I do miss the little mom and pop pet store that used to be in the south end. They even had brine shrimp.

Jason

Last edited:

usacutie81

Large Fish
Sep 6, 2006
St Louis
So basically salt is pretty much a way for Petsmart to make money except in an ich situation in which case I can get iodine-free salt from the grocery store for cheaper?

Great. Petsmart already talked me into buying it. So what do I do with it now? Should I keep it or return it? I don't need the money or anything, it was only a couple bucks. But I don't want to keep something I'm never going to use.

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Just keep it on hand for if you ever develop an ich situation...
And if you have any intention of sticking with fishkeeping for any significant length of time---which I'm sure you do ;)---then you'll need it. It's worked wonders for me many times...well, for my fish really. :p

Big Vine

Jayrod7

Large Fish
Dec 1, 2005
Omaha, Nebraska
too lazy to read every post but i dont put salt in my community tanks but in my livebearer breeder tanks i put salt in there, its recomended for livebearers cause it takes stress off them and it helps with breeding. i only put in around 2 table spoons for 10 gallons.

GIS Guy

Superstar Fish
Feb 18, 2004
East-Central Illinois
Visit site
usacutie81 said:
So basically salt is pretty much a way for Petsmart to make money ... Petsmart already talked me into buying it.
I was at Petsmart yesterday and the fish girl was telling this customer all about salt:
...when to add
...how much to add
...what it's used for
...etc.

I was screaming in my head --- "oh man, come on stop pushing this unnecessary item!"
Like Elaine (seinfeld) did on the subway when it had the power outage.