Should you let snails eat dead fish?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I suppose bottom line would be how long the fish carcass has been in there. If the fish has been missing for a week and you just found your snail munchin on it...I think I'd probably try to get it out of there...apple snails usually wont put up that big of a fight. If the fish just died and you dont think it was any strange diseases or contagious cause...I can't really see anything wrong with leaving it in there overnight or for a few hours. A lot of times I'll remove fish as soon as I see them just to see if I can figure out why they died...of course a lot of times if its sudden you have no idea anyway :)

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
I guess the answer depends on a lot of things, like how big is the dead fish, how many scavengers (fish too) do you have in there that would gladly share the meal with the apple snail, and how low is your nitrate level in general.

If the fish were a really small one like a tetra, I'd likely leave him to become a fresh snack for the clean up crew.
If I had a large number of hungry scavengers, I'd leave him. If the only scavenger I had was a single snail, I'd likely remove the dead one.
If my nitrate level was nice and low and a little dead fish wouldn't throw my tank out of whack, I'd likely leave it in. If nitrates were high, I'd probably pull it out as it could contribute to the nitrate/ammonia level.

Many a time I have had a fish MIA, only days later to find a skeleton floating around on the bottom. An entire yoyo loach got eaten up before I found him.

Mar 14, 2005
Vacaville, CA
www.gotpitbull.com
This fish was one of my thread rainbow fish. My fav next to the loach. He was about the size of a neon.

I have 2 big apple snails, they were fighting over it. But it seems they have taken all they wanted and left it behind.

I noticed my kohli loach going crazy, he was having a snack. That is when I said no way the fish is got to come out. I lost one of my kohli and I don't want to lose my current one.

So fish is gone, no more problem.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I would say in general it's not a good idea. First, if the fish were diseased, it can be transferred to the other fish by them eating its dead body. Second, the decaying remains could cause ammonia/nitrite spikes.

I have snails in most of my tanks, and if a fish dies in a hidden place among my plants, I know it will get taken care of, but I generally prefer to remove a dead fish if I see one.

Jun 6, 2016
Thank you everyone for your responses. I feel better now. I found a dead fish yesterday morning, at the bottom of the tank with like 5 or more snails on it. I thought "I will get it out tonight", and walked away. I forgot about it until now, and I can't find the fish at all. No meat, no tail, no scales no bones.......This is the first time I have had snails, and I have like 50 of them, and I have to say, they keep a clean shop! My glass is almost completely clear of algae, when less than a month ago it was almost black. ugh. I really love snails right now. I want to put them in my little outdoor tub with my turtle, but he loves them too, as food. I guess it's manual cleaning of his home.