Sick Betta

znresq

New Fish
Sep 19, 2004
new jersey
Visit site
my betta

In have a betta and for the last 3 days it has been very lathargic. it also looks like the spot under his mouth is swolen. i think he has ick. Has any one ever heard of this??

znresq

New Fish
Sep 19, 2004
new jersey
Visit site
my sick betta

He sits in the bottom of his tank and only comes up for air. He has like a red sore an his stomach and he has these patches they look grey but they can be white. he's also scratching against the rocks. I saw the pictures and it is definetly his stomach that is swollen

Sep 10, 2004
this is the third time I have tried to post..grrr.

okay, gizmo is great, all cured and back to his normal self, my new betta is still nameless but doing good.

Okay, give us all the info on your betta that you possibly can
type of tank
frequency of water changes
food
his health history
how long it's been occuring
where you got him
type of water you use
ph levels
what all you keep in the tank with him

anything you can think of
also, the site below is the best I have found on bettas online (ty catsfishes!)

http://www.bettatalk.com/betta_diseases.htm

you might want to look at velvet, dropsy, bacterial infections, and maybe fin rot.

Once you think you might have a pretty good idea, it might be wise to come back here and talk to us before medicating, as some people may have experience with your particular problem
alos, MAKE SURE to look at your little guy very well with a very bright light held close to the tank, to be sure of what you're seeing. A flashlight works great for this.
keep us posted, and GOOD LUCK

Sep 10, 2004
this is the third time I have tried to post..grrr.

okay, gizmo is great, all cured and back to his normal self, my new betta is still nameless but doing good.

Okay, give us all the info on your betta that you possibly can
type of tank
frequency of water changes
food
his health history
how long it's been occuring
where you got him
type of water you use
ph levels
what all you keep in the tank with him

anything you can think of
also, the site below is the best I have found on bettas online (ty catsfishes!)

http://www.bettatalk.com/betta_diseases.htm

you might want to look at velvet, dropsy, bacterial infections, and maybe fin rot.

Once you think you might have a pretty good idea, it might be wise to come back here and talk to us before medicating, as some people may have experience with your particular problem
alos, MAKE SURE to look at your little guy very well with a very bright light held close to the tank, to be sure of what you're seeing. A flashlight works great for this.
keep us posted, and GOOD LUCK

znresq

New Fish
Sep 19, 2004
new jersey
Visit site
Well I am happy to report that my betta is doing better. I went to the pet store and got some sea salt and splendid betta (betta fix remedy). My husband kept the water temp in the 80's and now he is swimming around more. He still has a few white patches, but his tummy is going down and he is not as lathargic as he was before. He gave us a scare but I think he will be just fine. Thank you for all the great advice and the websites reallt helped.

I agree with ashleigh

betta behavior

Warriors by nature. The Betta Splendens (splendid warrior), is, as his name indicates, a warrior. Basically, he is a fish with a bad attitude problem :))). The thing is bettas are only pissed off at other bettas, while quite gentle with other specie, which makes them good community tank prospects. They do get picked on a lot by other fish, so avoid putting a betta in a tank with fish that are aggressive, especially fin nippers such as tiger barbs, etc…

Flaring and displaying. When a male betta (and sometimes a female) sees another male, his first reaction is one of intimidation. The betta will immediately stretch out his fins as much as he can and open his gills as wide as he can, displaying his membrane, and suddenly looking twice a big as he really is :). This is called FLARING or DISPLAYING. He’s doing the macho thing, sorta like “I am bigger than you , watch out, I can kick your butt!”. He will repeatedly do this and if the other betta has the same bad attitude, they will soon start attacking each other. (so never put two bettas together!! Duh!) Their color intensifies and they look just gorgeous. .

above: a betta at rest (left) may not look very threatning. The same betta flaring (right) appears to be twice as large, hence intimidating rivals. Over activity may cause the tail to tear, especially in halfmoon bettas, a phenomena known as "blowing a tail". Notice slight tears in the above halfmoon betta's tail.

Because bettas are not as intelligent than us (or are they? :)) ) you can get the same result by putting a mirror in front of them. Well, it’s not really that they are dumb, but they don’t know what they look like, so when they see the betta in the mirror, they don’t know the betta is actually THEM.:) This makes for hours of fun watching the whole commotion. And no, bettas will not get exhausted, as a matter of fact, I have two brothers jarred side by side who have been continually flaring at each other for a year now. I believe that a little action and company is good for the moral. So I let my bettas see each other. This is not a good idea though, if you intend to show your bettas. Sometimes, a betta who looks lethargic will be stimulated by replacing his neighbor. A new neighbor equals a new pecking order to establish and a whole new desire for flaring.

I found this on Betta talk.com