Skimmer Picking Help

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I'm in need of a new skimmer and I'm hoping you all can lead me in the right direction. My bakpak 2 is cracked and needs replaced. I needed to replace it soon anyway so I'm looking for it to handle a tank up to 150g or so. I was looking at the aquac remora, hang on type, but I'm not sure if that'll be the best choice. If you include it with a mag drive pump it doesn't seem too bad though. I don't have a lot of room in my stand so an external model would probably be best as an internal is out of the question. I plan on just drilling a hole in the wall and putting in on the other side of my closet. So the line will be about 4 feet maybe... horizontal not vertical. What about the aquac ev-120? Any other suggestions?

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
What a coincidence.... I just got a 10x10 shed! Perfect!

I'm looking to stay under 200, which is why i'm looking for a used one. The EV-120 looks pretty good but I'm sure there are others to consider. I suppose I could always go with the remora, but I'd rather not if I can help it.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
lmao....now that is funny..... thanks Matt needed a good laugh.

Joe, I don't think the remora will be enough for a 150g and I wouldn't recommend spending the money on it now only to need to upgrade later. I had an Urchin in my sump but recently changed it out for a Euroreef which btw....I love. The EV120 is supposed to be an awesome skimmer though and if I had the bucks and not fell into the euroreef for a sweet price I would have gone that route......

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
well when i was looking into a new skimmer the etss800 was my first chioce but being that it runs about $700 it was a little outa my budget :p so i was considering the aquaC ev180 but i ended up going with the MR-2 which i love and would highly recommend! for the first time since i got into this hobby almost 4 years ago my nitrates are at zero! the ev120 is pretty good though, i belive camaro has it on his 90g.... if it came down to the ev120 or the MR-1 or 2 id go with the my reef creations only because i kno for sure it does exactly what im looking for (skim the hell outta my tank) btw the MR-1 is cheaper than the ev120 and if u check the selling forum on reefcentral u can usually find them used for a good price ;)
HTH

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
Well, I didn't go for the EV120 that person was selling. Maybe I should have, but I didn't. I'm starting to look at the MR-1, Euroreef models, and ASM models. As well as the EV120. What are other signs of a skimmer being too small for a tank? Aside from nitrates. Also, I'm going to be using the skimmer as an external one and how far away can you keep the skimmer from the tank?

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
Yeah, I assumed that, but I read that EV120 has picky about how long the tubing was... Out of the skimmers I listed above which would be better? Still the EV120? The MR-1 seems like it might work, but I want to get something that will last me.