Skimmer Picking Help

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I'm really considering the MR-1 right now. What kind of pump do you run on yours? It says a mag 12 is recommended for the MR-1, which seems a bit much to me. The EV-120 only suggests a mag 5. I think it's between the MR-1 and EV-120 right now.

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I have the ev120 up and running now, but it's not producing any foam. Would the break in period still apply on a used skimmer? I am getting a lot of bubbles, but they aren't rising. Is there anything I can do to help the skimmer start?

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
the break in period still applies on a used skimmer... maybe camaro will see this and chime in since he has the same type of skimmer on his 90g (maybe the ev180 tho) but on my MR-2 i was getting foam almost instantly.... have u tried to dial it in? how do u have it setup? any pics?

Last edited:

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
i read the manual for it and it said once you set the water level you need to let it sit. The slim needs to build up in the skimmer. I thought there might be something I could add to speed it up.

Yeah, i can get some pics, but here is how I have it. A mag7 pumps out of my sump about 3' max to the skimmer. It's about a 16" vertical lift and and maybe 12" through the wall. Then I have a PVC line running back into the sump. I have lowered the air intake valve just in case it starts up while I'm at work or something....