Snail Questions???

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Are snails good, or do they reproduce to rapidly? I know that 1" or fish per gallon... Do snails count??? I want a medium snail that is a great tank cleaner!
Thanks everyone!

Violet

Large Fish
Jan 24, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
Apple snails won't reproduce if you have one. They can get about the size of an apple ;) Nerite snails I think stay smaller? They are quite beautiful and good algae cleaners. Anything that produces waste counts in your bioload, but I'm not sure how you figure snails in (1"....2"....?) How big is your tank? What else is in it? Do you have excess algae, if so, do you know what causes it? Snails are a lot of fun.

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
This is one case in which pH matters. If your pH is below 7, you probably shouldn't keep snails. However, you could put some crushed coral in your filter media chamber, which should stabilize the pH at a higher level and also provide calcium for the snail's shell. Otherwise the acidic water will gradually eat away at the snail's shell. Not pretty.

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
I love the look of apple snails (especially the stripy ones I saw on google!!) I want something like a large marble size... Any suggestions??

I have some seashells in my tank, to keep the pH good. I don't know what my pH is (unfortunately) because my testing tube broke. BUT, whenever I go to the fish store, I try to get my pH tested. I'm quite sure it's under 7, though!

Last edited:

brnttoast

Small Fish
Sep 16, 2006
winnipeg manitoba
asolene spixi are brown/white striped and stay around the size of a marble

if you have plants, briggs are the safest and least likely to kill live plants, the briggs apple snails are the most colorfull, they come in many different colors

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Oh that sounds nice!
I don't have any live plants because they all died... except for one but that one got HUGE ans so I took a lot of it out- it also died after that.
I'll definitely check those snails out!!