snails; good or bad

dbleoh7

Large Fish
Sep 21, 2006
i've had the snails for about 2 weeks and they're awesome. my tank is crystal clear with no algae on it and haven't touched the glass. before i had the snails i had to use the magnet about twice a week. they crawl on my plants but do no harm. my plants are doing fine. im definitely glad i put them in.

dbleoh7

Large Fish
Sep 21, 2006
a question: if i were to put a couple snails in my HOB filter would they clean the inside and would they die or be able to handle the current?

Sep 11, 2005
Philadelphia
www.myspace.com
Often people complain if they are overrun with MTS that they get into the filter. So yeah...they would live there. But I'm not sure they would really keep things clean - I mean, after all, everything they eat they will poop back out again. So if they're in your filter they'll just eat the sludge and then poop the sludge - and it will stay right there in your filter.

Timbo

Large Fish
Jun 21, 2005
Nottingham UK
Different snail species do different things. Some snails are a marvelous natural way of cleaning and filtering your tank. Others are natures version of England Soccer supporters... It depends which snails you have and what you want them to do. Also what plants you have as some eat them and some don't. A "Snail" is like refering to a "Fish". do you want a "Fish" in your tank . well it depends on what fish and what is already in there.....

P.S. if you have puffers or Loaches, then snails are a REALLY good idea.... Not one that has much of a future ... but a good idea none the less. I keep an old 4 foot tank outside in the garden. It has its own strain of pond snails and daphnia in it, and during the summer together with the local wild life I never have a problem with live food. And all my loaches love me and buy me birthday presents...

Last edited: