Starter help!

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
UPDATE!!: tested my water today only to find that my nitrites and ammonia were 0 and that nitrates were 7%ppm! yay cycle! So i went to my LFS today, and picked up 5 fish. 1 amber barb, 2 cardinal tetras ( they're so small!) and 2 platys.
Nice! Congrats to you.

Only thing is, I've heard cardinals (tetras in general) do better in schools of 6 or more.

Joel

SKSands

Small Fish
Jan 22, 2013
yeah, i've noticed that they're sticking together , and tend to follow the barb around.....they so tiny! i had no idea that they were this small! they looked larger in the tank at the store. now that they're in my tank, i realize how small they are. smaller than the trimming of my thumbnail!

SKSands

Small Fish
Jan 22, 2013
something i noticed about how they feed. the platys get the flakes as the float on the top, and they won't eat them, the grind the up, and spit them out, funfetty-style,scoot backwards, and the eat the little ones, the barb then waits for the smaller flakes to fall down, and all the ones she misses fall to the tetras. they're so cute. they stay hidden in the vegatation until they think that no one is around, then they come out, and play with the barb.
does the 1" of fish=1 gallon of water apply for tetras, because they're so small?

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
The 1" rule is far from a rule. Its more of a guideline. Ten gallons are tough, they can spike easily and get funky awful quick, especially if you have more thank a couple fish. They also don't leave much room for variety. So when adding fish to a ten gal, just keep in mind that the maintenance will increase exponentially.

SKSands

Small Fish
Jan 22, 2013
forgive me, but i read that entire post in the voice of captain Barbarossa from Pirates of the Caribbean. I kinda figured that that would be the case.

SKSands

Small Fish
Jan 22, 2013
so, i went to my LFS yesterday, and got 3 new fish. 2 cardinals, and 1 guppy. all my little fish are doing "swimmingly" now. :D thanks to everyone for the help!