starting a mbuna tank suggestions pls

Oct 22, 2002
Im starting a mbuna tank and I just wanted to get a general idea of what to expect, as this will be my first african tank. I want a large group, possibly 8-15 fish with at least 3 or 4 species such as Johanni, Kenyi, electric yellow lab, demasoni, or anything relitively the same size with alot of color to dart around some rockwork, any suggestions would be great!. Im wondering what size of tank would work and what kind of filtration to go with, as well as any extras. Any info on this subject would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
Well it sounds like you already have the species picked out! Hehe. I would suggest a tank of at least 55 gallons or more. Then I would suggest having it all decorated in rocks and minimal plants. Also for filtration no UGF they will dig it up somtimes and I would suggest a power filter or a canister filter. That would be best. As for the fish Kenyis are nice and so are the electric blue haps and such like that. Just look around some more and see which fish you like best. Just remember to never overstock! ;D HTH

Before I had to give up fishkeeping, I had a mbuna tank.  I'd honestly get a tank bigger than a 55 if you can afford it... these buggers need space.  For substrate, about 1 1/2 - 2 ins of crushed coral will keep the water hard enough for these guys.

I had a tank with some Kenyi, Yellow Labidos, Auratus, and some fuellerboni (spelling?).  Despite the usual territorial squabbles, they "got along" ok.  Lots of rockwork is a necessity, and I'd use plastic plants (yuck) as they will more than likely tear out whatever you plant in there.

Good luck to ya!

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Where do you guys get the rocks for your african cichlid tanks.  At a quarry or something?  If I buy that much rock for my 60 gallon, it would be very expensive.  And what type of rock looks cool in a tank like that?

Since Rift Lake Cichlids like hard water, you can pretty much use any rock that you find... as long as it doesn't look like it has any kind of metals on it.  If there's some brown specks, or shiny specks, you probably shouldn't use it.  I didn't buy a single one of my  rocks.  I just took them from the woods around my place of work.  Be sure to wash 'em good!

MbunaGal

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
communities.msn.com
If this will be your first African tank I would suggest getting a more docile fish than the Kennyi's, melanochromis', and the Demasoni's.  These are some of the most agressive Mbuna and if you're a starter it may be a shock as to how aggressive they are.  I would suggest getting something like Labidochromis, Labeotropheus (the fuelleborni and trewavae), Aulanocara, or Sprengerae (rusties).  This is just my opinion because when I first started my tank a long time ago, I got Kennyi's and Auratus and was not prepared to handle what they did to eachother.  It's good to have experience with more docile ones.

As for tank size, I'd go with anything from 55 to 180.  75 though, is probably the most common.  Filters for a 75 could be a Fluval 404 with a bio-wheel filter, or a Fluval 404 with a Fluidized bed filter, or (the set-up I'm getting) a Rainbow/Lifegard set-up!

Hope this helped!! ;D

MbunaGal

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
communities.msn.com
Nope, I don't even have it home yet!! ::)  The store was nice enough to let me bring in payments whenever I have money.  I am also selling them my fry and putting the money from them towards the tank.  I think I still have to pay $90 or so before it's actually mine! :p  Then I gotta get the money for my filters, so it may be awhile....  Thank you for changing my mind about getting the Rainbows!  Lucky for me my Dad has agreed to pay for half the tank and half the filters!  Do you think it would be a good idea, in the future, to filter two tanks with the set-up?  Just an idea since they are capable of filtering around 300gph..........?  I'm sure I'll have lots more questions!!  I'll ask them as they come!

Damerf28

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
It probably wouldnt be a good idea because you would have a hard time getting the flows right the tanks would have to be drilled or some type of overflow box would have to be made or purchased to keep the tanks from overflowing onto your floor. The overflow boxs would have to feed the units some way. I dont know any other way of doing it or have I tried to do more than one tank with one filter system. Maybe someone here knows how this can be done. I know the petstores do it so it is not imposible. I would just upgrade to a bigger tank and use the same filter. Sell the 75 when your tired of it and get a 120 or something the filter will handle it.