stocking 55 gallon

tessalion

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2006
PA
CAPSLOCK said:
That seems fine. Since all the guppies are males, you might want to get male platies too (I'm not sure if lonely male guppies would pester female platies). Plus that means there's no possibility for fry. I still also think you might need 2 cherry barbs, but you can always add a second later if the first misbehaves alone.
that was along the lines of what i was thinking with the cherry barbs, find out the personality of the one i have first and then go from there. As for getting male platies, good idea...if nothing else to reduce the risk of coming home with an already pregnant female. Don't really feel ready for fry yet.

Jul 6, 2004
Massachusetts
Visit site
Trust me, you will want more than 1 loach! I started with 4, but that wasn't enough for me, so I later got 3 more. They are very fun, active fish. :)

I agree with the others that you may want to think about changing your 4 small schools of tetras/danios into 2 or 3 larger schools. IMO, a school of four tetras looks awfully lonely in a 55g tank. If schooling fish are your favorite, I think that you'd enjoy it more seeing larger schools than a couple of small groups.

Other than that, it looks good! *thumbsups My opaline gourami is one of my favorite fish.

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
Agreed. You guys are making me REALLY hope I get this 50gal this weekend LOL. Although I guess it will be a livebarrer tank because I have too many guppies, dwarf platties, and mollies that are outgrowing the fry setups, or I need to move out of other tanks. Blah, I can setup the 30 for them I guess! :) Anyone care to donate some fish for me? I'm too broke for this. LOL

tessalion

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2006
PA
w00t! its official my 55gal is being delivered tomorrow!!! *BOUNCINGS

VirgoWolf said:
Anyone care to donate some fish for me? I'm too broke for this. LOL
The sad thing is im probably too broke for this too. I was supposed to spend this summer working to SAVE money for tuition in the fall...instead what do i do? I discover a new addicting hobby and then precede to start spending a couple hundred dollars on it...definitely out of character for me. Oh well. I'll just have to work harder *crazysmil

now to continue the plotting for this tank...is it bad that a female beta is starting to sound appealing?

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
LOL I have 7 tanks at home and 2 at my parents house, as well as 2 ponds at my parents house, probably close to 10-15 empty tanks laying around, 2 holding snakes.... and I still want more. I am going to be breeding bettas hopefully by the end of this year, I'm currently looking for a 90gal, and I am dreaming of indoor ponds and at least a 220gal eventually. :) Good Luck with not being overly addicted to the hobby! LOL

Keep in mind we are 20 something newlyweds with many other animals to take care of living on one income with bills, loans, leases, and debt LOL. While planning our wedding reception and house hunting! LOL (we got married in Dec.. and the reception's in Sept. Go figure, everything we do is to a different tune than most people LOL)

Last edited:

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
VirgoWolf said:
Anyone care to donate some fish for me?
Want a black angel? And a fat opaline gourami? And about 4 platies? That should just about un-overstock the 37g... And possibly a dwarf gourami since the pearl doesn't like him?

Female bettas kick butt. They are good community fish. My female opaline gourami completely ignores the bettas, and the bettas ignore all other fish except the other female betta.

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
LOL Actually I am in the market for all of those LOL. Not for any new tanks, but my mom wants to go with angels, and I want any gourami I can get my hands on! LOL I am a little addicted to livebarrers, so I never turn them down either. LOL Wish we were closer, LOL.

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
Yeah, me either LOL. Kinda broke these days LOL. It'll be a while, right now I have to settle for this, it's as close as I can get.

My Gecko's new setup, it's not finnished, I need to get some more vines and such for her, and a boyfriend! :)