stocking a 90 gallon tank!!! PLEASE REPLY ASAP!!!!!!

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
If you get the angels while they are small, they shouldn't cause a problem for your tetras. Of course, in theory, anything small enough to fit in another bigger fish's mouth eventually will ;)

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
So they Keyhole Cichlids... you still really want them?

I'm pretty sure they will be problematic.

The L155 is a nice looking fish (called a lyertail)

You could do a pair of phantoms 1 blue 1 green they look nice together.

My plecos like slate. They munch the drift wood in my tank but they hang out in the slate caves. Have you checked out the gold nugget? I would go gold nugget blue phantom green phantom then you could toss a bushy or 2 in there at some point if you like.

I would suggest waiting a couple months after you add the other fish to buy and add your plecos. I also always suggest using caution when ordering plecos on aquabid (I have only had bad experiences there) it's like e-bay in that your experience is only as good as your seller.

If you have a nice big LFS they can order stuff in for you.

I would buy everything but the plecos, let your wallet heal and your tank do it's thing. Plecos don't really need "company" so then add them one at a time. It's always fun to buy new fish so when you are ready for 1 buy it, then when you are ready for the next buy it.

Honestly unless you have decades of experience I wouldn't put anything really nice in your tank until it's been up for a while because chances are you are going to have some issues once you are set up.

If you go the bushy nose route I would get a bunch, get a black veil (long fin black bushy) a regular bushy, an albino veil, a starry night, a regular albino bushy etc mix it up, again I'd get about 1/2 of your stocking plan wait then buy another 1/4 wait then buy another 1/4 wait then buy plecos

Last edited:

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
the Keyholes are going to beat on your other fish.... they are going to act like cichlids. I did some more reading on them (don't personally keep that particular species) and Im pretty darn sure a. you won't be able to sex them at the pet store, and b. they are going to fight/pick on others.

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
they are nippy from what i understand, worse then angles better then rift lake is my understanding.

I think a new tank that size, new fish keeper, maybe a different fish would be advisable.

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
yes, anything from south American will eat everything in your tank when it grows up.... I don't know why i see people talking about "nice sevrums" or firemouths, or a "friendly jack dempsy"....

In south america you got;

Rams, Angels, kribs that kind of stuff that is very ok... the rest of the cichlid family.... will eat their friends...

In Africa... you got maybe electric yellows... not really advised by the fish community (but I would bet my left arm that they would be ok in a tank as long as everything was bigger then a neon) I can't seem to keep them alive in a rif lake tank that's for sure... because my fish are A holes... as my four year old says "THEY ATE HE EYES!!! LOOOK THEY ATE HE EYES!!!"