Stocking scheme for New 90 gallon

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
Hey Guys,
So here is the stocking list for the 90 gallon tank i am keeping at work, The 60 at home will follow a similiar scheme give or take

For Fish
Yellow Tang
2 Onyx or Tom or true Perc Clown
2 yellow Jawfish
2 Yellow Watchman Goby's
1 Wartskin Angler
The wartkskin is the only one i see as being a problem, its max size is about 4 inches and i would add him last, the owner used to keep them when he had an aquarium shop in london in the late 70's and 80's and has his heart set on having one,

1 Bright Blue Carpet anemone and eventually 1 other different species of anemone

Inverts
1 Pom Pom Crab
1 Spider decorator Crab
2 Pistol Shrimp
2-3 Peppermint Shrimp
2-3 Electric Flame Scallops

Various Hard and Soft Corals Later on,

Just wanted to see what you guys thougth as far as compatability and tank space as well as Which ones you thougth i should add first, I was thinking the more docile fish first allow them to establish their territory and add the more aggressive fish later on,
all this would be done once all tank levels have been stable for a few weeks, they are almost at zero for everything now in Both tanks and the cleaner crews are ( hermits, snails, starfish and sea cucumber) in both tanks, just let me know what you think,
Thanks again
Brahm

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Well, this is quite a mix. The fish list should be okay except for two possible problems. First the Jawfish may fight and second the angler will eat the clowns, gobies, and jawfish. Believe me this fish will reach a length of 4-5 inches and its mouth can be expanded very large. For the inverts I would stay away fromt he flame scallops. MOst do not survive the long run. If you have your heart on keeping them, you must feed 3-4 times a day. Everything else sounds fine.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
ive read that decorator crabs can be a problem with corals sometiems...they like to decorate themselves with polyps/mushrooms etc

other than the aforementioned i think it looks fine

what kind of lights are you gonna run? halides i presume

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
They are power compacts, 225 watts i think it is, Yea decorator crabs do sometimes do that but at the same time they will transport differnt polyp and coral colonies to different parts of the tank, the Angler he really wants and i was thinking what if it was introduced 1-2 years later once everything has had a chance to grow, i think as long as we keep him fed he might be fine if the other fish are allowed time to establish and grow, also what about the addition of two yellow tangs i know most say dont do it, but both he(the owner) and i have kept two tangs peacefully, was that just a fluke?
Thanks
Brahm

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
i dunno, well see, imo power compacts have been fine for most anemones, but it all depends on the behavior of the anemone itself, if it moves around alot then new lights, if it likes it fine then it should be ok, there are many places for it to attach itself at varying depths, from the bottom to within 6 inches of the surface...
Brahm

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
You will need more light then that even for anemones...especially carpets. Yes, you can keep more then two tangs in a big enough tank. Rethink your plan, an angler will eat your small fish. Some species grow to 10 inches long. (Antennarius commerson ) There have been instances were the angler has eaten a bamboo shark twice its length! I have an idea, put the angler in a nice 20 gallon reef and drop the risk of it eating the tankmates.

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
ok, so no angler, and that was what i had thought all along, but my boss is the boss so we will see, and the lights are actually 265 watts, so well see about light. THe particular angler( the wartskin) Antennarius maculatus is supposed to have a maxium length of 4" but i am semi-familiar with the anglers and i know that they often will eat fish that same size or bigger than they are, so i will try to talk him out of it, i will let you guys know, also the flames i have kept with success before and i know they are filter feeders, Turkey basters loaded with plankton, ect usually 3 times a day,
Thanks for all the advice guys,
I personally think the lights will be ok for a carpet but i will let it decide and obviously if it isnt happy it will either be returned or we buy metal halides...
Brahm

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Besides Ritteri anemones carpets require pretty high light levels. Recommendation is 4-5 watts per gallon. I would add clowns and/or Yellow tangs. Make sure to quarantine all fish.

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
Thanks again guys, well see about the lights thing I hope that it works out cause the owner paid this guy who owns a aquarium store that is 90% Fresh water to set up the tank and he bought all the stuff( bio wheel filtration) which i am taking out i Told him to buy a protein skimmer and i am adding that for him ect... so i think he would be pissed about the lights,
anyways Thanks again
Brahm

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
maybe he can return it....if not, one option would be to go with daylight halides and use the pc fixture to hold actinic bulbs, a lot of people run setups like this (now wishing that is what i had done)...course you would have to make sure there is room in the canopy

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
yea there isnt really room in the canopy, i have t-5's 120 watts that i am not going to use ( i am buying some power compacts for my home tank 265 watts for a 40 gallon show tank, shouldnt be a problem) and i was thinking of just adding them to the 90 at work for some re-embursement, putting the total wattage at 380 something watts, which i think would be fine for a 90 thats about 4.2 watts per gallon so i will run that by my boss, he is gonna be pissed at the aquarium guy he really ****** him over on a lot of stuff and he is pissed as it is as i am going along telling him he needs things this other guy never thougth of so i will keep you posted.
Brahm

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
by the way yesterday we added two yellow tangs and 2 peppermint shrimp as well as 2 other crabs to the 90 gallon tank at work, i am still waiting to add fish to mine at home simply because i will be moving it next week and dont want to traumatize the fish, so i am going to move it and then give it another week or two to settle down then add fish, by the way if any of you have any tips on moving a 60 gallon tank with live rock/sand and cleaner crew i would be apreciative, i have found 5 15 gallon containers with lids to use to move the water and rock and sand
thanks again
Brahm