Stringey poop and hiding

Angelo

New Fish
Apr 3, 2016
My swordtail has been hiding and having what appears to be white stringey poop. I had my upside down catfish die today. I had forgotten to put dechlorinator in and that was most likely the cause of his death. Maybe this is the cause of the swordtails sickness? I also have a firemouth cichlid and another new upside catfish in my 40 gallon. It is a planted tank. The swordtail has been fed flake food mostly yet I have tried shrimp pellets today. I have heard this could be a parasite or stress. I hope my others arent infected too. I stayed safe and moved the swordtail into a rather small container and attempted to feed it for I saw it was trying to eat before. I dont think it ate. Help please and thank you!!

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sunny Southern California
sorry to hear about your problems with your tank.
how long has the tank been set up?
how much water did you change out?
is the swordtail now in a container that has it's own filter/heater and same tank water from where it came from?

white stringy poop is usually a sign of some kind of infection.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
You can try frozen or live foods to see if that gets any interest. Is the issue that he doesn't have interest in the food or that it isn't making its way to his hiding spot? In the latter case, try feeding a little more at a time or offering food in 2 places at once, so he doesn't have to compete with the firemouth.

Stringy white poo makes me think parasite... Prazipro is great for parasites and safe for planted (or Reef) tanks. Just remove any carbon before dosing as the carbon will absorb it.