Stupid question - but needs an answer!

Jun 28, 2003
UK
Visit site
This may sound really dumb to you veteran betta keepers out there but is betta pronounced as bee-ta or bet-ta?

Also, not so stupid, if i can't get betta food what will they eat happily (in the dried variety)?

kool_sk8a

Large Fish
Oct 20, 2003
London
i didnt know whether to answer this cuz i always thought it was bet-ta but now u made me wonder. i think i'm right. anyway i found that they love freeze dried bloodworm

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Bet-ta, thats the way it is spelt, so why do people insist on saying it like it has a 'y' or 'ai' in it somewhere.

I know some LFS people say Bay-ta, but it still does not make it right.

I have 253 bet'ta's, I would certainly hope I know how to say it properly.

colesea

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
NY USA
Say it as however your regional dialect allows. Long Islanders pronounce it bay-tah. Sure, that's not correct by a dictionary standard, but everyone knows what you're talking about when you say, "I got myself one of those bay-tah fish the other day." But then again, we all say so-der, for "soda", and bay-gul, for "bagel". *shrug*

~~Colesea

catfishmike

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sin City, again...
i think as long as you either know how to spell betta correctly or as long as you know the scientific name it doesn't matter how it's pronounced.common names are often the subject of controversy and have no bearing on izcn nomenclature

kool_sk8a

Large Fish
Oct 20, 2003
London
good idea fishydude22:p, i mean i doesnt really matter what we call them or how we pronounce it. its a beautiful fish, and thats all that matters, as long as people know what fish u are actually talking about. just say it as what comes natural.

Dec 17, 2003
Visit site
Most people say BAY TA but BET TA is the proper way to say it. IN my experience betta food is crapp. I feed my bettas a staple of hikari cichlid complete. The juvies grow noticeably day to day, up to 1/4" fin growth over night because of the high quality of the cichlid complete. Hikaris betta biogold is ok but it has MSG and i dont like that. You cant beat variety- flake, worms, frozen, fresh, algae tabs.