substrate and cloudiness

May 17, 2005
I just started setting up my 72 gallon bowfront tank the other day. The substrate I am using is bagged aragamite bought from a reputable dealer. Since I filled the tank with water on Saturday it has been cloudy ever since, and when I try to level out the substrate it kicks more sand up. Will this always be the case because I'm using sand or will it eventually pack down? Right now it's so bad that I can't see past 6 inches in the water and if it continues I won't ever be able to add fish. Please let me know what you think, thanks.

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
I don't think the cloudiness would prevent you from adding fish at all. Remember, many of the fish we get are SO COLORFUL because it helps them in murky water to draw attention to themselves for mating. And labyrinth fish and corydoas breath atmospheric air because they come from oxygen depleted waters. Cloudy murky water looks bad, but it's NOT harmful to the fish.

May 17, 2005
whew thanks, I can rest a little easier now. I haven't set up my powerhead yet but I was planning on putting it at about mid-level in the tank. Thanks for the quick replies. I'll post some pics in a couple weeks when it's all set up and ready.

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
Oops, I overlooked that little VERY IMPORTANT point! Sorry. And God, this is the saltwater section. How did I wander in here again? Natural saltwater systems are crystal clear, not muddy and mirky. Just scratch everything I said in the previous post. You guys ought to have a different background color or something over here...

jammerz

Large Fish
Feb 28, 2005
Boise
i bought the same stuff. i had to rinse the hell out of it before i put it in. I still dont think i rinsed the substrate well enough before i put it in and my stuff water was milky for awhile. Did you rinse yers prior to putting it in the tank?

jammerz

Large Fish
Feb 28, 2005
Boise
I've bought sand and arogonite(from carib-sea i believe) and on the bags it clearly says rinse throughly before use. Maybe just that brand???? dunno? I think its kinda like rinsing charcoal before use, you wanna get a the small particles and dust from shippping and movement out before you add it to the system

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Delta, maybe just maybe there is a subliminal reason that you continuously end up in the saltwater section?????? Could be that deep in your subconcious you really want to be a saltie? I think it is time you converted to this side..........
How did I wander in here again?

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I read using a pillow case to rinse the sand works. What other methods would work? I'm getting a bag of arag-alive, which I'm not rinsing. Then I have some marine sand and aragonite that I plan on rinsing. I'm just wondering what other methods there are out there.

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
Thanks. I just check last night and my nitrite levels are 0 and ammonia are either 0 or the next color off. It's hard to tell with those color charts sometimes. I'm going a 100% water change again on Friday and hopefully after that the rock will be ready.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
You should not rinse your sand. All those small particles become coated with the beneficial bacteria needed to activate your dsb and once they are the sand will settle on it's own. The bacteria will weigh it down and you won't have the dust storm. When I put the sand in my tank that already held water I opened the bag and immersed the bag under water and filled the bag with tank water and slowly (I mean slowly) slid the sand from the bag underwater. I had murky water for the first two weeks, I did the shrimp method and at two weeks I added my live rock. The water was still quite murky at that time. Within 24 hours of adding cured live rock at about 2 lbs/g the water was crystal clear. Go figure. I have also done this by adding sand directly from the bag into a dry aquarium. I then used a dinner plate to difuse the water as I added the water, it clouded up but not too bad, I added my rock and fish back into the tank and within a couple of hours it was clear as ever. So........don't rinse the sand, you are washing good particulate down the drain......be content to know that this takes time to set up properly.......don't add any fish until your tank is completely cycled......