sump/fuge

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
im looking around for wich one i want to buy the budget is somewhere around $200...im looking for either a kit that sells it all together or the pieces seperate sump,pump,overflow box but i dont want to build it myself..ive been looking on ebay heres what i came up with:

sump
overflow bow
pump

now all this come out to a little over $200 ..what do you think?? worth the $$$ ?? can i do better for the $$$
open to suggestions :D

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
How big are you planning on going...a standard 400-600gph overflow box shouldnt cost more then $60 or so...pump get one used for about $50...or a brand new rio for that matter...sump itself can be a glass tank. Price all depends on the size you want, material you want and features/quality you want. Also a DIY reefer could make a sump for way less then $200...just depends on what you specifically want.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
i thought a pre made one would look nicer but now that you mention it i do have a couple extra tanks laying around and with the $$ i would save i may be able to make one for my 125g aswell:D i guess ill consider both options
if i decide to use an old 20 gallon tank all i should need is an overflow box,return pump,and what else???

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
I would hard plumb the over flow so that it looks a little nicer...ummm some people do baffles to prevent bubbles...I have seen people use 5 gallon buckets put pvc legs on them and have the overflow flow down into that...basically thats all you need.

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
I have had both CPR and traditional U tubes...the Cpr are suppose to run quieter and not lose suction, my personal experience it was the loudest thing ever...IMO i would stick with the u tube design

TheFool

Large Fish
Apr 19, 2006
Might, might not, depends on what you want your sump and refugium to do. For a standard 10 it wouldn't be at all unreasonable. Don't rely on your return as a main source of flow

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
That was probably a typo and might be 700 gph which most overflows are approx 600 gph......

I read that the cpr weir style overflow is less reliable and can lose the siphon and most recommend a aqualifter to suck out the air in the event that you have a power failure. I have read better reviews of the U tube style so that is what I went with.....and it has not lost it's siphon yet. The only worry I have is a snail getting into the overflow box and blocking it ...I think I will put some plastic canvas over the box and hope this doesn't restrict the water flow.....will see. I know my baby bangaiis made the trip through the overflow into my sump without any problem......

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
Lorna said:
I know my baby bangaiis made the trip through the overflow into my sump without any problem......
btw how r they doin???

Lorna said:
That was probably a typo and might be 700 gph which most overflows are approx 600 gph......
i dont think so it was only $7.40 :p

so let me get this straight if i get a 600 gph overflow do i want to match that with a 600 gph pump??

Last edited:

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I think something along the lines of a mag9 will match a 600 gph overflow at about 4 ft of head.

The babies are dwindling in number, I have about 8 I think and they are about double the size they were a week and a half ago. I bought some rotifers and that is what I am feeding them. They are eating it up. Now if I could just get them out of the sump return spot......maybe this weekend I will tear down the sump to get them out.