sump/fuge

TheFool

Large Fish
Apr 19, 2006
Aren't rotifers a bit small?

Bear in mind thatif you have an overflow rated for 600 gph an hour it doesn't matter what the pump does as long as it doesn't exceed 600 gph in effect.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Well considering the babies are very very small....the rotifers are what every site said to feed them until they will take something bigger such as mashed up mysis......that is what I will feed them next along with arctic pods....

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
TheFool said:
Bear in mind thatif you have an overflow rated for 600 gph an hour it doesn't matter what the pump does as long as it doesn't exceed 600 gph in effect.
so any thing 600 gph or under??? what would be best??? and im not trying to spend $80 on the pump what are some options???

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
yea i think im just guna get this IMO it just looks cleaner than using an old tank and then this overflow and now im just tryin to pick out wich pump since ill be ordering all this prolly next week*SUPERSMIL im open to other suggestions tho

Last edited:

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I thought I gave the link to the WP pumps. You can buy the 950 gph pump for $29. You can put a valve to throttle down the flow if you like.

TheFool

Large Fish
Apr 19, 2006
Ooh, the Via Aqua stuff is horribly made. I reckoned their powerheads were noisy from the get go and lasted 6 months on average. Your return pump is a place to 'buy once, buy right'.
The sump linked to looks surprisingly like my 'old tank', I guess if you hd to buy a tank new it would come out the same. Acrylic tanks are a bit easier to play with than glass

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
i was measuring the space i have under my stand and it isnt very big :eek: i have the standard size stand from petsmart...the space underneath is only 11 inches wide and 21 inches tall wich means the sump will have to be even smaller than that:eek: any suggestion? links? any help please im prolly guna order everything tonite or tommorow im looking around on ebay and everything is atleast 12" wide

Last edited:

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
alright i guess for now ill just be ordering the pump/overflow box
let me make sure i have it right 600 gph overflow= 600gph (or as close as possible) pump?

TRe, as long as the pump is 600 gph or less/w a 600 gph overflow you'll be fine. the overflow will only flow the amount of water that it is supplied with, up to its max flow rate. So what this means is, if you are using a 400 gph pump your overflow will only have a flow of 400 gph, because thats what its being supplied with. But if you try to feed a 600 gph overflow with a 900gph pump, your going to have a flood.

Hope this helps,
BM

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
im trying to figure out the exact foot prints that my sump/fuge is guna be and the biggest i can fit without modifying the stand is about 9.5 gallons :( it just doesnt seem like much

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
im trying not to have to do that it kinda scares me removing the suport with a full tank

also im moving in june so when everythings taken apart maybe ill upgrade the sump than while the stand is empty plus than i can practice on this one and see what ill need to change ect... stupid idea???

Last edited: