Sump idea

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I am thinking about setting up a cheap sump. I do not have room under neath my tank so I'm to just put a rubbermaid garbage can or something in the room next to the tank. I'm probably just going to make a overflow box. When it comes to water pumps I do not know too much. What brands are good and what specs do I need? The water would have to be pumped up about 5' or so will a bend or two. Any other info would help too. I'm assuming the water can back flow if the power goes out so I do I make sure that doesn't happen?

Mahamotorworks

Superstar Fish
Aug 26, 2006
Thule, Greenland
www.myspace.com
What pumps boil down to is the amout of Head that you need. Head Defined. The Height that the water will travel under the power of the pump. With a 5' rise you will need to have a good pump. I have been looking for a Page that has the Specs on the Mag Drive Pumps. You will also need to include a siphon brake.

I will find the Page and Post it here.

MAHA

a garbage can probably wont work too well as a sump, something clear would probably be easier, incase something decides to go sump surfing. you will probably need a pretty powerful pump. id say about 6-7 feet of heads to make up for the bends slowing water flow.to keep it from back siphining, you drill a hole in the return just below the water line, that way if the power goes out, the water goes down a little, and badda bing, badda bom, the siphon breaks.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Joe rather than a garbage can look for a rubbermaid tote......they are a better shape and you can put baffles in them also....I actually tossed around the idea of a largish tote with a smaller tote inside with holes cut into the sides to work as a refugium.....all in all you are probably looking at needing a mag 9.5 or higher.....and a good overflow box rated about 600gph.....

MagDrive 950gph Water Pump: Premium Aquatics

TheFool

Large Fish
Apr 19, 2006
I would go for a used tank - a scratched acrylic tank should be pretty cheap and makes a perfect sump.
As far as sump pumps go look for reliability - the cheapos can burn out really, really fast. I have a Tunze, eheim is good too, that the sort of quality level to look for

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Joe, yes you need to cut it at an angle......that is why you would use plexiglass or acrylic....easy to cut.....for some....that is why I was going to go with a tote inside a tote

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
test it out and make sure the sides are strong enough.......some of them bow out when you put water in them. But they are relatively cheap.....so if you cut bulkheads and don't like them.......you get another tote..... make too many mistakes and then you would have been better off with an old tank.

scout out the peddlers post or other free mags with classified ads in them, you may be able to pick up an old used 20g to use......