SW newbie

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
fish are the last thing on your mind at this point :)

A 20 can be made into a salt water fairly easily (and theres about 3-5 good start up 20 threads on here, 2 of which are currently happening)

You need to look into what you will be using to start up the tank and such (read through the stickies and forums)

once you get a understanding, get the tnak all set up, and everything is done... a clown would be a good fish but when you really look into the hobby you may find you want another type of fish (not to try and put you off the clown idea just throwing it out there..)

Katie217

Superstar Fish
Jul 15, 2006
Florida
all im gonna say is RESEARCH alot because saltwater fish are more expensive, so u dont wanna lose one! and ur gonna need live rock...thats all i know, oh and a protein skimmer

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
In fact, clowns may not be the best beginner fish out there, just ask JoeFish.....he's lost a number of them recently, not through lack of research or anything on his part.....just that there are many hardy fish out there for beginners......a word though, stay away from damsels unless that is what you want to keep for ever.

Milo

Large Fish
Jun 29, 2006
Brampton, Ontario
Diddo to what everyone else said.

I picked up a book, what was it called ??

The conciencous marine aquarium

I think.

Regardless, pickup a good book from your lfs, and read it from cover to cover and you will be on the right track!

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
Yes, clownfish have not been my best species. Although, they are one of my favorite ones. That's why I have two of them again I just couldn't help myself. I currently have two that live together quite nicely. Make sure they are tank raised and many of the problems with clowns are gone.

Two of the I got was on a impusle buy, which I have learned expensively from. If you see a fish you like leave the store rethink it, then go back the next day. I know for sure damsels are very hardy, but honasly not worth the trouble. Unless you have a larger tank where they can spead out. I read either get one or more than three so their aggression is spread out in the group and you don't have big bully. They are also no fun to catch once you realize their true face.

OCCFan023 said:
fish are the last thing on your mind at this point :)

A 20 can be made into a salt water fairly easily (and theres about 3-5 good start up 20 threads on here, 2 of which are currently happening)

You need to look into what you will be using to start up the tank and such (read through the stickies and forums)

once you get a understanding, get the tnak all set up, and everything is done... a clown would be a good fish but when you really look into the hobby you may find you want another type of fish (not to try and put you off the clown idea just throwing it out there..)
Oh i am sorry, i ment my dads GF's tank that i thought was between 45-55G, but i found out it is like a 30G. Can that work? And are there any stickies for a SW 30G tank setup??

I have a book that i always go to when i am thinking about setting up a tank, it is call The Aquarium and Pond Fish encyclopedia by David Alderton. It tells you how to setup a FW and SW tank, and a pond. So i will read the How to setup a SW tank section, then get back online and tell you what i have learned, and the fish that i like, so then i can gain knowledge on what fish are compatable.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Well they just recommended one of the best beginners books. "The New Marine Aquarium" another is Robert Fenner's "The Concientious Marine Aquariuist" both are considered maintstays of the hobby.......There is also Delbeek & Sprunger "The Reef Aquarium" Vol 3

JeLeAk

Large Fish
Jan 4, 2005
Alaska
salt gets premixed in a bucket before it gets added into the tank, and how much salt is measured by a hydrometer

to keep a SW running is pretty easy, all you gota do it keep the electricity on, top it off every once and a while from when the water evaporates, and turning on and off the lights, much like a freshwater tank

i havnt had to actually clean clean my tank yet, because my "clean up crew" has done that for me, i have just been doing my water changes

even tho your not setting up a nano tank, check out the sticky in the nano forum, and dont forget to read all the stickies here as well... and doing a search on random tanks wont hurt either ;)

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Delbeek and Sprung is too complicated for beginners. Period.

The Paletta book and/or John Tulocks Natural Reef Aquaria are very, very good beginners books. I would imagine that your current book is best ignored for saltwater as the methodoliges in it are dated and hard work.

Once you've read one or both of those books many of your really, really basic q's will be unnecessary.